We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

Hi TA,

We went to Sukhumvit Soi 38 last night (9 Nov) to look for the famous Pad Thai Stall at the end of the first sub-soi to the right. It was closed then.

Does any member here on TA know whether it opens on Sunday or not?

We were told that some street stalls are routinely closed on week-ends.

Edited: 9:30 pm, November 09, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

The guy opens shop late. I have seen him setting up at 9pm.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

Hi Mmonkie,

I think you're correct. Many stalls at Sukhumvit Soi 38 did not seem to keen to open shop; I noticed. Anyway, had Pad Thai on Friday night; so could live w/o it till another occasion.

We were there on Saturday @ about 6 pm. Managed to secure the mango plus glutinous rice package from 2 stalls away; it was tantalizingly good. The juice stall next to that was just great, juice-wise & price-wise. Roasted duck from nearby and the pork satay were good as well.Thanks.

Edited: 9:43 pm, November 10, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

The back mee moo deang stalk next to the pad thai guy us also very good and quite popular (when they open).

Richmond, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

Go late...my favorite place in Bangkok..just had a delicious egg but no meat pad thai..best anywhere

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

Hi Bneedell,

Yes, I now know going late it's better to "capture" your favorite stalls. I patronize only a cluster of stalls around the sub-soi on your right just after you enter Soi 38. Are the stalls further into Soi 38 just as good? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Edited: 10:41 pm, November 22, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

Here's the best padthai shop I have found: http://goo.gl/maps/cNYGk

And, as an added bonus, it's nowhere near Sukhumvit!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

What time did you go? I will be taking some people there late on a Sunday night so I hope it's not shut.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

@ Mmonkie, I don't have any idea of what "back mee moo deang" is. Sounds delicious though. Thanks.

@ OctoberSix, Thanks for the Pad Thai lead. Is taxi the only means to reach there? I'm always game to seek out the most remotest location for good cuisines.

@ robol. I think it's safe to go to Soi 38 after 10.pm. Stalls there are open till 2.00 am or later.

Edited: 12:55 am, November 23, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

@ wongchinhong

You can catch a 505 or 16 bus, from "downtown" to Dusit. The 505 runs up Ratchadamri, then heads west on Petchaburi, running past Platinum and Pantip. The 16 runs in front of Siam Square, then heads north on Phayathai, then west on Petchaburi. Tell the fare collector "Dusit".

If you like it spicy, you might head down the road to this place, next to the Dusit P.O.: http://goo.gl/maps/xWVv8

They offer many of the typical dishes and some of their own creations. Most will definitely give the tastebuds a tingle!

Here's a popular duck noodle soup shop, in the same area: http://goo.gl/maps/mkQGm

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pad Thai Stall at Sukhumvit Soi 38

Probably my favorite food shop: http://goo.gl/maps/8IEjM

Now, if you are really adventurous, and want to sample some of the best eats I have found in Bangkok, the five sisters that run Khun Mai's shop put out some amazing food. Both the 505 and 16 buses will continue on to this point, "Wongsawang". The 50 bus will also get you here.

A trip here will require a relatively early start. By 10 AM, we are talking slim pickings. Much of the local workforce stop by here to pick up their lunch on the way to work. The shop opens around 7 AM.

A couple entrees, with rice, will set you back between 30~50 baht. A tasty cup of cha yen, Thai tea, will run another 15 baht.

An added bonus, to this adventure, is that you will see the construction of the new purple and red line elevated rail projects. If you take the 50 bus, you will also see where the MRT blue line will climb out from its tunnel and see daylight as it heads to the purple line and points beyond.