We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

1)I understand that there are ongoing Riots in Bangkok now. I Would like to check people on the ground whether it is serious? Will traffic be affected? Are tensions very high?

2) i heard that the train from Bkk to Sukhothai is not in service due to maintenance. Is this true? Has the train started operations again? I'll be heading to Bkk in seven days time

3) would I be able to get a bus to Sukhothai on the day I land (Saturday night) considering that it is the loy kathrong festival that period? Otherwise is there any way I can book for the bus tickets onlin?

TThanks for reading my message and responding

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

In Bangkok. Not a problem. Only had traffic rerouted , traffic here crazy normally so you don't notice much. No riots, just democracy in action.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,596 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

I think we get your message!

13. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, November 10, 2013
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,596 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

Gin27

That is a totally untrue comment and a misrepresentation of the comments made to some of your fellow countrymen. As being near neighbours of Thailand it comes as a surprise to many of us from further away why when anything happens in Thailand it is more often Singaporeans who appear to be more nervous and seek information from an international community of travellers as opposed to local sources. More disappointingly and disturbingly though since an "Ang Mo" is a term regarded by many non-Chinese as a racist derogatory term used increasingly as a racial slur your comment has been reported as inappropriate. I hope others follow suit and report it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

Hi Joseph,

From one Singaporean to another.

My wife & I are still in BKK staying at the Sukhumvit area. During this week-end we've been to JJ Market, MBK, Pratunam, Central World Mall (CWM), Big C Mall, Central Chitlom, Siam Centre, Siam Paragon, Terminal 21, Thong Lor, Phrom Phong, & you name it. We've been using the BTS & taxis to get round. Contrary to others' information, we did not encounter any major jams, even at Petchaburi/Pratunam areas.

This evening while walking to Chitlom BTS, we witnessed a small protest rally on a stage in front of CWM, attended by only about 100 anti-amnesty demonstrators. There were more people, 200-300, watching this event on the skyway & they seemed amused by the spectacle. The whole atmosphere was as tame as a Siamese cat.

Absolutely no need to worry about the situation here. Too bad I could stay longer in BKK as we've exceeded our budget with too much shopping, dining & massages. Just a tip: Healthland Spa @ Asoke is really good value for money; affordable, nice service & superb ambience.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

Hi Wongchinhong

Thanks for all the on sites reporting actual situation which u encounter at BKK,this will help to calm fellow Singaporean who will be heading there after the School vacation.

As u have been to Thonglor,any good restaurant there which u have dine?How far in ,have u venture Thonglor Soi 55

and perhaps u can enlighten me with some exciting place to visit and dine.

I be there in mid December and residing at Suk Soi 11.

Khop Khun Khrup

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

"That is a totally untrue comment"

How would we know?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

There were protests in Thai Town Sydney, Australia yesterday.

Was noisy but peaceful.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

Hi Leomak,

Only recently made a foray into Thong Lor to assess the restaurant scene there. We've been to Thon Krueng at Thong Lor Soi 13 (recommended by TA members) & made trips to street stalls at Sukhumvit Soi 38. Will continue to scour Soi 55 more later & keep you posted.

Edited: 9:58 pm, November 10, 2013
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Riot situation in Bangkok now, transport to Sukhothai

Tks alot Wongchinhong,U walk all the way to Soi 13 Thon Krueng Seafood or by taxi or Bus 8?Just like u,never been to Thonglor Soi 55 and it's pleasure that u can explore it beforehand for me when I embark on my December trip.We looked on good side of BKK and Thai hospitality.

Khop Khrup khrup