We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

Cleveland Ohio
10 posts
Save Topic
Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Thailand in late August because her daughter is swimming for the USA in the International Children's Games. ' We are going to stay at the hotel where the athletes will be staying (the raddison) for the first three nights and then have decided to move to another place to experience one the the five star hotels. Although we plan on doing a lot of shopping and want to be able to easily move around we are considering either the Oriental or the Peninsula (leaning towards the Penisula as of right now)... thoughts and comments welcome....Also considering the Sheraton Grande mainly because of it's location.

Is the location of the big two okay? We also want a great pool area for some down time, good restaurants, ...geez I think we want it all!

Those of you that are experts please give us some help.

UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

Hi there boys3, great choice either the Oriental or the Peninsula they are both fantastic hotels. The location is absolutely fine for both, Bangkok is a really easy city to get round in any event. I would recommend the location instead of the Sheraton as it is quieter slightly away from busier areas but still convenient. The pool at the Peninsula is extremely quiet, great for chilling out. Oriental pool area is slightly livelier as it is close to the hotel cafe area but it does has lovely sala areas for guests. Its personal taste really - the Oriental has a more colonial feel and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The Peninsula has great food, a cool bar area, great views from the upper floor rooms (req an upper floor room overlooking the river). See what the best rates are for both and enjoy!

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

The pen is possibly more of a business hotel and with less public areas, but both are fantastic, a more family orientated hotel might be the Shangri la next door to the oriental.

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

Hi Boys3 - Hard to go wrong with the three hotels you mentioned; have always had fine stays at those properties. If you go with a river location, you should be quite happy at either the O or the Pen. Any chance you will be staying long enough to justify experiencing both hotels? My fiancee and i couldn't make a definitive decision; she is slightly partial to the O (it's those suites...) and i, the Pen (and yes, she booked another suite...) We did what all good couples do - compromise - and agreed to stay at both for our honeymoon. (So hope all of our future disagreements can be so pleasantly resolved ... and for less money...)

macintosh (Robert)

let's agree to disagree/

(Buck Owens)

Cleveland Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

Okay ...what do you like about the Pen over the Oriental? I'd be interested in knowing....

Cleveland Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

Oh Robert, one more thing......what's the best way to book this hotel....directly thru their website or should I do something like asiarooms.com?

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

hello again,

>>what do you like about the Pen over the Oriental?<<

almost all of my stays at the Pen and the O have been for work, and for various reasons, i've always felt a bit more comfortable at the Pen. Partly due to the Pen being less of a "must see" than the O, and therefore less congested with non-guest traffic. (Should also add certain colleagues and clients are partial to the Pen; very important...) Partly due to some friendships i have with some staff members at the Pen, and partly due to the unmatched city views from the higher floors. i'd also suggest it's "generational;" my fiancee's parents (and mine) choose the O, while we are open to other hotels. None of this is a knock on the O; it is unique in its own way, with a staff that always seems to know me (i so hope for the right reasons...); superb suites, rooms, restaurants; and a very special monthly "watering hole" ... (see you this Saturday...)

As far as booking is concerned, have always worked directly with the hotels, for either corporate or leisure rates. You could very well land a better deal via an outside agency. (For our honeymoon, we did deal directly with the two hotels, as our stays will include some private functions.)

You can't go wrong with either property, given the graciousness and warmth of the respective staffs.

Enjoy (and don't forget arranging for an in-room massage treatment...)

Robert

Cleveland Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

Robert

Thank you so much for your graciousness in answering my questions. I'm going to book the Pennisula. As I told you we are first staying at the Radisson to be with the athletes for a few days (otherwise we would move between the Pen and the O) and then

after feeling comfortable that my girlfriend's daughter is in her routine, we will move. I'm so lucky to be a tag along with this swim crowd!!! I'll be forever grateful to my girlfriend's husband for being to busy to join her. Hence , my invitation!

I'm going to check around for prices, but I feel that I may book directly through the hotel and request a high room.

Please feel free to pass along any inside info you feel we need to know, especially if it has to do with shopping. And thanks for the massage tip!.

Kim

Uk
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

Hi Kim

Glad you have picked the Peninsula so I can help, as me and my husband have just stayed there on 9th July. Booked a Grand Deluxe Room on the 31st floor, great views. TV in the bath lol, free internet access etc etc. In room dining was fantastic as well.

You must go to the pool as they are really good and pamper you with iced water, cold towels, newpapers and they come along every now and again with small ice cream cones which are to die for!!! You can buy the full size ones at the shop on the ground floor of the Pen for 100 baht ... we had a few as you walk right pass the shop to get the River Boat.

As for shopping it depends on what you like. My hubby is really into IT so the MBK centre is the best but be aware after 30 minutes seeing the same things sold by everyone for the same price it gets a bit boring !!!!

There is also a department store in there which sells everything at really good prices.

If it is designer stuff you are after, do your homework first as I found the designer bags and sunglasses more expensive in Bangkok than the UK and we always get ripped off. However the makeup was half price in Bangkok.

Getting to the shops is so easy from the Pen, just get the River Boat to the Skytrain jetty, then follow the signs which is a right turn and then up the stairs. This is the last stop for the Skytrain so you won't get lost coming back. You can get off at the Central Siam station for the designer shops or go to the end of the line on that Skytrain for MBK its that easy.

Hope you have great fun, the people are really friendly .. but the heat !!!

If you need any other questions answered just email me at

bramblebunny@hotmail.com

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

try and make sure when you stay at The Pen that you have a rate that includes breakfast - the breakfast is superb but expensive if you pay for it separately. I always book directly with the Pen to get the best rate, and I reakky do appreciate their policy of giving regulars special discounted rated. I would recommend the Grand deluxe, room type 02 as being the optimum value for money. Of course if cost is not an issue dont hesitate go for a one bed suite. Dont forget to try the wonderful food in the Pen's Chinese restaurant....................

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oriental or Peninsula - a debate, help me please!!!

hello again, Kim - To add to the fine shopping advice, Jim Thompson silk products have always been big hits with my fiancee, the women in my immediate family, and one of my teenaged nieces. Something about those little cosmetic and lipstick cases ... JT shops can be found at the Peninsula and the Oriental (a sentimental favourite), and the main store on 9 Surawong Road. Other hotel locations, shops, and outlets can be found at jimthompson.com.

and for dining, completely concur with the recommendation of the Pen's Chinese restaurant, Mei Jiang; great Cantonese cuisine. You might also enjoy Jester's, Thiptara, the River Cafe & Terrace, and even room service (business travel habits die hard) ...

enjoy your time in Thailand,

Robert