We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

Hi,

I will be travelling to Bangkok and arriving on February 12, 2013. I don't really have a lot of experience travelling, especially alone, so I'm not sure what to look for in terms of where I should be staying. I'd like to stay somewhere where I can meet other people to go out or explore with so if anyone can recommend a place that fits what I'm looking for that would be great.

I'm 27, from Canada and fairly open minded in terms of what I'm looking to do while I'm there, if that helps.

Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

Hey, I stayed in a hostel called LubD in silom. Loved the location, and hostel. I was by myself too. I met two other women in my room and we traveled together and went to dinner at night. The front desk was very helpful!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

Check out the places in Kao San area, you will find budget accommodation and similar people..

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

I thinks it best to stay near a BTS skytrain station which rules out the Khoa san road.

I would think you should look at Riverside, Silom or Sukhumvit. Its easy to meet other people in bars and restaurants.

Check http://bangkok.sawadee.com/ for hotels in your budget.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

You should include a price range..

Lub D is popular and you can use the Skytrain.

http://www.lubd.com/

Most any hotel in my opinion is okay for women. It is the "guests" you invite in who may steal something from you! Most hotels in Bangkok will have a security box at the front desk or a safe. Use it. Just to be clear - if you have a random guy spend the night with you lock up your wallet, passport, cell phone, jewelry and other valuables! There is your greatest threat in my opinion! Do a FORUM SEARCH for scams. A FORUM SEARCH will also give you some hotels and other posts from women traveling alone.

Atlanta Hotel is very protective of women and family groups. You will NOT be allowed to entertain an overnight guest. (Good location for walking to many things including Sktrain.)

www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/caveat.php

In Bangkok (and most big cities popular with tourists) you can sign on to tours through local travel agencies. Or use the tour desk at your hotel if they have one. Most of these tours are on small passenger vans. You will have an opportunity to meet other tourists.

What price range for your hotel?

UK,London
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

Check out Sawasdee House in Soi Rambutree , khao San . I stay there everytime im in Bkk . Its lively , 5 minute walk from Khao San , very safe as you are right next door to police station and the food there is amazing . Plus its backpacker budget priced so win win !

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

Im also in bangkok on Feb 12th but staying in a hotel on sukhumvit as didn't really have a budget.

There will be lots of hostals to stay in and many on Here will recommend them for your needs as so e have done already

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

Khao Sans Rd area would be best for you, where you can meet other like minded young travellers and pay less in restaurants and for drinks.

BTS and MRT are not imperitive in this area as you have the river close by and an excellent day time river transport system including frequent orange flag 15 Baht boats. At night time just stay in the Khao Sans Rd and enjoy the vibe and atmosphere this area has to offer.

Lub d Silom #1 is also an excellent choice, my son stayed here and enjoyed this upmarket hostel.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,064 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

As Rover said, having the BTS is not necessary. If it's your first time in Bangkok, the things you most likely want to see -- temples and Grand Palace -- are nowhere near the BTS but ARE handy to Banglamphu, misnamed "Khao San Road area." In addition Banglamphu is Bangkok's most historical area and its most atmospheric. That's why it's a magnet for young travelers from all over the world. Just about any guesthouse you stay at there, or cafe you go into, you'll find traveling companions easily if you're friendly and outgoing. Plus in the budget accommodation category, you get a lot more bang for the buck there.

And you're not cut off from the commercial part of Bangkok. You can use the Chao Phraya Express river boats to get to the Skytrain, or take the Saen Saep Canal to reach the prime shopping area in 20 minutes for 12 baht. This site has a lot of info and tips on accommodation: http://www.khaosanroad.com/

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

Hi Callmetiger,

I am flying on the same day to BKK from Toronto...which airline are u using......We are going from Toronto to Chicago, then Tokyo & BKK on Japan Airlines

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hostels for Single Female Traveller, Inexperienced

I second LubD, but I prefer the one in Siam. Also a solo female traveler.

I prefer taking the BTS (in case I stayed out late-ish), so I usually stay somewhere near one, and LubD Siam fits that profile; the BTS is just right in front of the hostel.

And for that same reason, I usually avoid KSR.