We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

Dallas, TX
6 posts
Save Topic
Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

My wife and I are going to Thailand and Bali from December 18 -31. (DFW-ORD-NRT-BKK) we arrive in BKK at 11:15 PM on the 19th. How long will it take to get through customs and Immigration? Will we be able to catch a ride to Hua Hin at that time of night?

We are planning on spending a couple of days in Hua Hin and a couple of days in BKK then catching a 6AM flight to Bali. Would you suggest we start our trip in Hua Hin and end in BKK so we can catch the flight or is it possible to have someone drive us through the night to the airport from Hua Hin? How long will it take to get to the gate to leave Thailand?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

At that time I would recommend arranging a car/limo service, Oriental Escape are very good and they charge THB 2,850 ( about US$ 95 ) but it is a long drive, at that time of night, depending exactly where you are staying in the Hua Hin area 2.5 hrs +

orientalescape.com/thailand/…huahin.html

What time is your flight to Bali ?

You may wish to do Bangkok at the start , or. after such a long journey why not just check-in to the Novotel Bangkok Airport hotel and then have the car service collect you perhaps about 10 am to be in Hua hin around lunchtime, that might be more relaxing.

Edited: 10:05 am, October 09, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

Have you settled where to stay yet ? Of interest is that some hotel groups such as Hyatt do have daily shuttle van between their Bangkok and Hua hin properties, if that is of interest , probably about US$ 17 each.

Did not see you had already put in a 6 am Bali flight, for that would be better being in Bangkok hotel night before so much quicker.

Dallas, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

I am Diamond Status with Hyatt so we will be staying at the Grand Hyatt Erawan and the Hyatt in Hua Hin. Then the Grand Hyatt Bali. I wasn't aware that they had a shuttle between the properties in BKK and Hua Hin, that is great news.

My wife wants to see the night markets and try the street food. Can anyone suggest which market is best.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,682 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

One of the best markets is JJ Market(Chatachak) http://www.chatuchak.org/ but this is a weekend market so it depends if your are in Bangkok over a weekend. Otherwise there is Patpong night market. But you might be better at MBK shopping mall if you cant do the weekend market.

Have a read of the FAQ - FAQ Bangkok SHOPPING on the right of the page.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

The most popular night market in Hua Hin is on Soi 72: http://goo.gl/maps/350ya

Edited: 10:53 am, October 09, 2013
Dallas, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

What would you suggest as far as clothing goes? My wife is thinking of wearing a lot of long skirts and t-shirts. I was thinking about short sleeve cotton button ups and t-shirts with linen pants and cargo pants.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

Unless they have changed something Hyatt offers a luxury shuttle van to the Hyatt Regency in Hua hin ( good choice )

In Hua hin there is a busy night market in the town center, Wed or Thu through Sunfay night market at Hua Hin Grand Plaza on the way into town.

I 'hop' you are at the Hyatt Hua hin on a ri / Sat / Sun as the lovely Cicada night market is just by the entracne to the Hyatt and has lots of lovelt arts and craft items, reasonably priced, also has a huge range of food all nicely presented and again very reasonable.

If you like seafood do try one of the over the water restaurants in town center at the Waterfront which is a walk along from the Hilton area.

Daytime to from Hua hin town center from the road by the Hyatt is costs only B 10 ( about US 30 cents ) by local songthaew ( pick up with seats in the back )

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

You have the dress code just right, smart casual is fine, Hua Hin if I may be permitted to say is more upmarket stylish than many other areas, smart casual is certainly the way to go.

I would suggest popping over to the Hua Hin forum for more on Hua Hin itself

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g297922-i9453-H…

Note : I have noticed Dec 31 st . be aware that NYE is incredibly busy and roads will be packed, so I would plan accordingly

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

According to their website shuttle still operates between the 2 at THB 600 each ( approx US$30 each so $60 for 2 ) but note a quality car transfer is about $95 for 2 and of course timed for your convenience.

I hope you have bookings (?) as is peak season

Dallas, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand in December questions - 1st timers

Monica - Thanks for all of the info! We will actually be leaving on December 30 from Bali to return home. We are leaving Thailand on the morning of December 25th.

What type of shoes would you recommend? I have seen a lot of people suggesting flip-flops (thongs) but if we are doing a lot of walking I would think walking shoes or hiking boots would be better.