We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decision of hotel...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Decision of hotel...

I'm going to Bangkok in Nov. Doing research of hotels right now and narrow down to some choices:

Peninsular, Oriental Residence, Grand Hyatt, Four Season and Sofitel So Bangkok.

Purpose of my trip will be a friends getaway. Doing a bit shopping but major in food and spa. I heard about bad traffic in Bangkok so I think it will be better to stay in a place close to subway.

I haven't been in Bangkok so can anyone would give me some advice? From the hotels I picked ... Is there any of them close to subway/ in a convenient location? Also which of them looks better/ better service?

Thanks

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decision of hotel...

I stayed at the Four Seasons for years and love that hotel. Plus, the location is excellent. And the skytrain station is about a 3-minute walk away. I've stayed at a lot of hotels as I've been going there since the 1990s. I've also stayed at the Penn, but don't like staying on the opposite side of the river. Plus, I'm personally just not a stay-on-the-river person although I've also tried the Oriental Hotel and the Royal Orchid Sheraton on the river. Personally, I liked the Oriental Hotel better than the Penn.

I wish you had provided links to the hotels as I can't remember them all off the top of my head. As for the Grand Hyatt, if that's the Grand Hyatt Erawan, then it's almost next to the Four Seasons.

As for subways, you don't want to be near the subway, but near a skytrain station. There is a difference. As for the Oriental Residence, I think that's the one not far from Central Chitlom Department store. I haven't personally been to that one. And as for the Sofitel, I don't remember where it is. Is that the one near the Ploenchit skytrain station?

If I were choosing, I'd be back at the Four Seasons. Plus, the Four Seasons has really good food and it's not a high-rise hotel which I personally like. It's not easy to find a non-high-rise hotel in BKK.

If you end up in the Four Seasons area, drop in at the Erawan Tearoom, right above the Erawan Shrine. I drop in there regularly as it's such a relaxing place to have a cold, lime-aid drink and try out little plates of food from the region. It's where my best Thai friend and I go after we've been running around BKK all day. Smiles. Have fun.

Happy Travels!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decision of hotel...

Of the hotels listed Oriental Residence would be my first choice VERY closely followed by the Peninsular. They are all good hotels though so if you can get a better deal in one it could be worth it.

Edited: 3:35 am, October 07, 2013
3. Re: Decision of hotel...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 09, 2014