We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mumbai
1 post
Save Topic
bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

i would like an economical way to get to koh samui from bangkok.

• how long does it take to get to Don Mueang from bangkok airport?

air asia has flights from Don Mueang to Samui (Lipa Noi Pier)

and Nok air from Bangkok (Don Mueang) To Koh Samui (Nar Ton Pier). i want to know what is the difference.Nok air the flight rates are cheaper

• how to you find out if their flight rates include ferry and bus service

Kanchanaburi...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

All budget airlines do not fly directly to Koh Samui. Air Asia flies from Don Mueang to Surathani or Nakhon SiThamarat and from there you are transferred to a bus that takes you to Donsak ferry port and then on the ferry to Koh Samui Lipa Noi Pier (if you purchase the island hopping sector as well).

Nok Air does the same but the ferry arrives at Nathon Pier which is actually better than Lipa Noi Pier. This is because there is a lot more transport available to transfer you to your hotel once you reach the pier. At Lipa Noi Pier, there is very few public transport and if you do not have anyone picking you up, you are stuck with paying for very expensive taxi fare out.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

Well, even though Bangkok air are a bit dearer , their service is fantastic. Well worth the extra baht , for convenience of flying easily and quickly from Bangkok.

I will happily pay extra for their comfort , food and if you want to join their f/f club , extra luggage allowance, they have a lounge too , open for everyone .

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

Bangkok Air fly from the new airport though, sorry just forgot spelling.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

Hi,

You could take the government bus which travels to Bangkok overnight.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

I a agree- the Bangkok Air service while not cheap is excellent. It really is worth spending the extra rather than messing around with buses, train and ferries. If you are on a limited schedule in Thailand I wouldn't waste the time.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

Hi,

Do check www.airasia.com and www.nokair.com for the combo rates, flight, transfer to Don Sak and ferry crossing. Expect the journey from Bangkok to take around six hours as opposed to the costly one hour flight on Bangkok Airways.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

Are Bangkok Airways really that costly ?. I had decently priced flghts earlier this year with them to Ko Samui. I have just randomly priced a return flight with Bangkok Airways, Bangkok to Ko Samui, in 8 weeks time for a 2 week stay, for just 5300bt, or just over £100. Couldn't believe the price. I didn't even bother searching for cheaper days or times. If you plan your journey & book several months in advance, I'm sure it will be even cheaper.

A 1 hr flight each way. instead of 12 hours each way (or whatever it is) on a bus & ferry for just a little more money sounds good to me.

Edited: 11:51 am, September 28, 2013
Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

The Bangkok Airways service also makes sense if you are connecting to or from a long haul flight as on most airlines your baggage will be checked all of the way through and there's no need to transfer between BKK and DMK.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

Hi,

Do note that it takes about 35 to 50 minutes to travel from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang by taxi. Also, you should allow four hours between flights. While the Bangkok Airways flight is the most convenient option the alternative is likely to cost you half the price, quite possibly less.

Edited: 1:59 pm, September 28, 2013
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bangkok to koh samui : best way to get there

I agree jaynenewcastle.....I've been monitoring flight costs with Bangkok airways the past few weeks and today our flights for next May are around 2500 baht cheaper than previous times I've checked. That's around $130AUD per person each way, happy to pay that for the convenience and I'm booking today.