We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

Bowen, Australia
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

Stayed in Bangkok for one night before heading to Phuket for five, before heading back to Bangkok for another five nights...you might want to nip over and read the Phuket one, or some of this may be confusing :0)

Tuesday: Arrived in Bangers at 11am...oh the sheer joy of being back in this beautiful city! I had originally booked return airfares with Jetstar, but for those of you who read my JBR from April and remember that Jetstar cancelled my flight, there was no way I was taking any chances this trip and re-booked with Singapore Airlines going over, and Air Asia going back – the memory of the business upgrade from last time ringing sweetly in my head...I also didn’t notify Jetstar that I wouldn’t be travelling as I didn’t want them to be able to resell my seats...still bitter...why yes I am! Anyway...

Took the train to the station nearest our hotel, the Baiyoke Sky Hotel, and dropped my bag off as I was an hour early for the room. Outside, and into the heat of beautiful Bangers where I just wandered up and down with a huge smile on my face, so happy to be back! Brought a few bits and pieces, and then headed back to the room for a nap. Refreshed and cool once more, I headed for the train station to go and pick my boyfriend up as his flight landed much later than mine – we live in different states. Back to the hotel, and up to the top for a look at Bangkok in all its neon glory, before heading to the bar for a couple of drinks before bedtime.

Wednesday: Went for a wander though the markets which were still up, yikes, hot! The boyfriend couldn’t believe how amazing it all was, and has declared himself a lover of all things Thailand –picked myself a winner here!!! Back to the hotel to check out, and a meter taxi to the airport for our flight to Phuket for five nights...

Monday: Arrived back in Bangkok, and a meter taxi to the Chatrium Riverside. We were both absolutely exhausted after delays from Phuket, and the noisiest airport (Phuket) I have ever had to sit in!! You couldn’t even hear what they were announcing over the loud speaker! A quick dinner in the hotel restaurant, before an early night after admiring our river view...

Tuesday: Hello Bangkok!! Wide awake and raring to go we headed down for breakfast (included) where I watched my fiancé (see...told you to read the Phuket one first) eat enough for a small army before catching the ferry to the train station and heading for MBK. And just like last time, I shopped till I dropped! Or at least I tried to. The fiancé brought loads, and I mean loads, but I really wanted jeans...I’m 3kgs lighter than I was last time, and the cheeky little so and so’s told me I was too fat! I’m 65kgs, and 5”7!!! I looked, and looked for the same place I brought jeans from last time, but it had been a busy few days, and I couldn’t for the life of me remember what floor it was on...next time!! I still managed to buy a fair bit of stuff, including lots of stuff for my beloved niece. She is the proud new owner of many fairy dresses :0)

I did manage to buy myself a few pairs of shoes at Beta, but Findig’s no longer had the shoes I brought last time – don’t worry Caroline, I came nowhere near your record!

Back on the train to the hotel, and we decided to walk to Asiatique which is only 15 minutes from the Chatrium...and you can’t get lost/miss it. We walked around for ages, buying things we liked – some things were actually cheaper than MBK which surprised me, and they still bartered – before we had dinner at the Hungry Fish – lovely restaurant!! Quite loud, but lots of fun, and delicious cocktails!! Went for a spin on the ferris wheel which was a laugh before catching a tuk tuk (we had lots of bags, and I’m lazy at times) back to the hotel where we sat on the balcony drinking supplies from the 7/11 attached to the hotel.

Wednesday: I had my heart set on finding the Iyisza store that I fell in love with in Phuket so off we went via ferry, and train to Chitlom Station for a quick walk around Central World, to Pratanum Markets and into the blessed cool of Platinum Mall...managed to find the store (sixth floor) and brought up a storm before taking a tuk tuk (um...it was very hot) to MBK where we did some more shopping. Back to the hotel to meet friends of ours from Australia that live in Bangkok, and headed to the ladyman bars – possibly at Nana or near to that stop. Lots of cocktails and beers before catching a taxi back to the hotel where we slipped into comas.

Thursday: Hungover, and desperate for a nothing day, we just hung out by the pool, and did nothing except eat, and swim. Walked back to Asiatique that night, and had dinner at Why97 – really nice food, and lovely decor! Walked back to the hotel for an early night as we knew the next day was going to be a long one.

Friday: Fed and watered we headed to meet our friends at Bearing Station. After a quick stop off at their place for a looksee, we headed to Bang Saen (sp) where we stopped at the fish markets before heading to a lookout that had heaps of ugly monkeys! I decided it would be best for everyone if I just stayed in the car and took photos as I’m a bit of a squealer, and didn’t fancy getting bitten. Did manage to see some monkey love up close...and the other three had a great time feeding the other monkeys. The fiancé had never been this close to monkeys before, and really enjoyed it.

From here we went for a look at the beach, and the markets before heading to Pattaya...could not wait to see the look on my fiancé’s face when we got to Walking Street. We girls went off for massages – my legs hurt for three flipping days after my massage – whilst the boys headed to a bar. A nudie bar. The fiancé was not expecting what he saw, and would quite happily never see it again...or so he says haha! We headed back to Bangkok late, and were happy to be back in our lovely room after a long and exhausting day.

Saturday: Took a taxi to the mall nearest the hotel, and ate like kings and queens...at McDonalds :0) popped into Tesco where I stocked up on shampoo/conditioner/face wash/toothpaste etc...

Back to the hotel to pick up our bags (I’d had to buy another suitcase – surprise!) and took a taxi to the airport. Check in was nowhere near as hectic as last time, and whilst I didn’t get my business class upgrade like last time, I did get the next one down for $17.00 and got three seats to myself...score!! The refund from Optiontown was back in my account within five days. The fiancé was flying out from the other airport, so our mate came and got him, and took him back to their house as his flight didn’t leave for about four hours after mine.

Not sure what was happening at KL airport but security was out in force, and even after going through to the departure gate, they were still taking passports off us. I got asked lots of questions about my passport before they gave it back to me, and then even when we were on the plane, about six guards came on the plane and walked up and down the aisles...odd!

Slept all the way home, and was thrilled to land back in Perth where the temperature was 7’C...ugh!!! Three days later I flew to Queensland (which is where I’m moving to in less than two months) though so it wasn’t so bad, as it was lovely and hot there!

So...another fabulous trip, I’m still totally in love with Bangkok, but more so with my fiancé, so whilst we are looking at possibly buying a condo there in the next year or two as a base, I won’t be moving there anytime soon!

Happy and Safe Travels Everyone :0)

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Baiyoke Sky Hotel
Baiyoke Sky Hotel
5,176 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Mbk
Mbk
161 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Bowen, Australia
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

Thanks Marley and Matvac - it's a wicked place!

Thanks Caroline, will be heading back to Thailand in April at this stage - even though I said never again in April due to the heat - and plan on dragging him up to Chiang Mai for a wee looksie. He loved Thailand so I don't think it will be too hard to get him to explore a new part! When are you heading back?

Happy & Safe Travels Everyone :0)

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

We've just arrived back a week or so ago - so no other bookings at this stage. We had nearly three weeks and went to Chiang Mai, Khao Lak and Krabi.

Chiang Mai remains the firm favorite. It has it all.... but yes, April is a hot time to visit.

If you can time it for songkran. It is celebrated with much gusto in Chiang Mai - a huge water fight that lasts for days.

Caroline.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Oak Lawn, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

can I smoke at the Bangkok airport

Singapore
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

Hi Thanks for e great JBR! Enjoyed it!

A few questions though :

You mentioned walking to Asiatique. I'VE read many threads and posts that said BTS than free shuttle from Pier... may I know which route you took / walked to Asiatique ? Where is the nearest BTS?

You bought a storm in Platinum mall.. i assume bargaining is not necessary here? Or should we try lowering the prices further by say 10/20%?

What about other stores /markets in BKK? Are they overly priced at the stores such that we need to hagger prices? If so, how much is an reasonable price to pay eg. 30% off?

Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

Chin Peng, the leader of the communist party of Malaysia was living in bkk and past away there, the Malaysia govt was so worried his ashes would be bought into Malaysia that security of every entry point into Malaysia from Thailand was tighten up.

The ashes was deemed to be a serious security issue, why? That's not for me to discuss here as it's not travel related. Simply put..... Stupid is what stupid does.

For Caroline record of shoes, don't think anyone can break them in the near future.

Bkk would be a place I would love to retire in buy just could not afford to get an apartment there.

Mentioned in this post
Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
865 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

Great report, can I ask how much was it to have a ride on th Ferris wheel at asiatique, we want to do this when we visit in December! Also what sort of food did why97 serve, we will be with our two young girls and at the end of the holiday so looking for something a bit more western. Many thanks!

Bowen, Australia
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

Hi, that's interesting about the ashes Mr K - I just don't know if you're pulling my leg or not, as why was it so bad for the ashes to be brought back? :0)

With regards to Asiatique we were staying at the Chatrium Riverside, and it seemed pointless to catch the hotel ferry to the ferry stop, and then queue to catch the ferry back past our hotel to Asiatique - it took fifteen minutes max to walk there, and we got to look at everything on our way, plus we both love wandering about :0)

The Ferris wheel from memory was 250B each, and we went around a fair few times - we enjoyed it, wouldn't do it again though, and it does get chilly in the little car thingy due to the air con. The food at Why97 was lovely, and whilst I can't really remember the menu I do remember it took us both awhile to decide on what we wanted - lovely restaurant! Your kids might enjoy the Hungry (or maybe Happy?) Fish we also went to, as that was loud, and fun wheras Why97 didn't give the freedom to run around the table type of vibe if your kids are at the running around table age :0)

Caroline I think we're going to miss the water fight as we're heading to Singapore for four nights first - I really do think it would do my head in though haha!

Happy and Safe Travels Everyone :0)

Singapore
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

oh i see, thanks for sharing! ;)

29. Re: JBR Bangkok: The Love of Bangkok Continues...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 12, 2014