We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Bangkok - where to stay?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time Bangkok - where to stay?

Hi there,

We are going to Thailand next March for our honeymoon. We'll be spending 2 nights in Bangkok before flying to Koh Samui then one final night back in Bangkok before flying home.

I've done lots of searches and I am still a little lost where to book. I was thinking of perhaps staying in two different areas on our visit to perhaps get to see the most of it, but where to book?

I'd rather not stay somewhere too hussle and bussle, but we want to be able to be close to really experience Bangkok. Plus of course the usual tourist highlight/tours. I'd like somewhere we can easily travel to sights, range of places to eat and a nice hotel. I'm looking to pay no more than £80 per night.

Can anyone recommend anything please?

Thank you

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

I think I've made a decision of Sukhumvit for the first 2 days and then our return 1 night riverside. There's so many choices it was hard to pick so now just going to go for it!

I'm off to find me some hotels!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
550 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

Hi

We have booked Rembarandt Hotel for our stay in BKK,Looks fantastic and available at a great price

John

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

Thank you, it looks really nice, I think I'll be booking there too!!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
550 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

No problemo.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

For riverside, have you looked at the Loy La Long? It's tucked away behind a temple at the edge of Chinatown, and is a stylish, quirky little place. It just made the top ten boutique budget hotels in the Guardian: theguardian.com/travel/2013/sep/11/top-10-bu… We have stayed there once and have it booked for our coming trip. Not everyone's cup of tea (thank goodness!) but we love it.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

Check out the www.asiatravel.com and www.sawadee.com to get an idea of what's available for your budget but I think it's a good idea to stay in Sukhumvit on your arrival and the riverside at the end of your trip.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

Thank you all! It's a nice relief to at least now have an idea of where we are going.

Spopey - one random question - my other half is concerned the river may smell? I've not seen it on any reviews but as you've been there I thought I'd ask if it does?

thank you

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

You should stay the best area in Bangkok the Riverside. On the contrary the River does not smell, indeed around this area is fresher and less polluted than other areas of Bangkok which has more traffic.

You say in your post "I'd rather not stay somewhere hussle and bussle" Most of Bangkok's attractions temples etc are near to the river.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

Thank you - he's paranoid about weird smells so thought I best check!! We've booked now for a couple of nights in Sukhumvit and then Riverside - we're hoping it'll give us a chance to see more of Bangkok if we're in different areas.

Now we've just got to sort out things to do/go etc! It's my first diy holiday, and a dream destination so I'm rather enjoying all the research - especially having this place where people can help! Thank you all! :)

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
878 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Bangkok - where to stay?

Hi Lealea17,

See if this helps,

http://asiadave.com/#bangkok-neighborhoods