We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Hi,

My Husband and I (early 30s) are going to Thailand end of Dec./ early January. We are going to stay in Bangkok for three nights at the beginning of our trip. We arrive in the morning (7 am) on the Dec. 29th. We are interested in seeing temples, floating market, and something fun for New Years Eve (any suggestions, a good place to see fireworks?), and want to stay somewhere walking distance to restaurants. We are not so interested in crazy nightlife or clubs or clothes shopping, but would be interested in souvenir/ gift shopping of unique Thai items.

Would Sukhumvit be a good area for us? Our budget is around $100 US. I have been reading reviews on TA and have a list of hotels that look interesting, would you recommend any of these? :

Park Plaza Sukhumvit

Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18

Vie hotel

Four Points Sheraton

Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit

The Continent

Courtyard by Marriot

Or, the Banyon Tree Bangkok is more expensive (is it worth it)?

Also, we wanted to stay in maybe a different area our last 2 nights (flight leaves at 2:30 am), so want to stay somewhere convenient to airport where we can have a relaxing time (maybe a massage and some time by the pool and something else easy) before our long flights home. Ariyasomvilla looks really nice, but not sure if we want to pay that much when we won't be staying overnight the last night (I'm assuming we will need to leave by 11:30 pm or so?). Should we stay by the airport?

Thanks for your help!

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

In my opinion there is no need to stay near the airport since it is only max. 35 miles from the city to Suvarnabhumi. By evening, from Sukhumvit area you will reach the airport in about 30 minutes by taxi (400-500 Baht including toll). However, if you're more into temples and souvenirs than into high end shopping and nightlife, you enjoy more to stay around Khao San Road. That is much more close to the Grand Palace and other temples. More cheap accommodation as well. So you could even take a room for the last day without staying overnight. Also great area to find nice souvenirs. Eventually (though it is a little bit outside BKK) go to Chatusak weekend market; the best opportunity for souvenirs and pretty easy to reach by public transport. Maybe some other members can advise you on specific hotels in Khao San area

Edited: 3:21 pm, September 08, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Thanks, that's helpful to know that we shouldn't worry too much about staying really close to the airport our last 2 nights if we can get there in 30 minutes from a better location.

I realize my list of hotels is kind of long, I was leaning towards either of the two Park Plaza hotels in Sukhumvit or the Four Points Sheraton for our first 3 nights since they have good reviews and seem to be well located near a sky train and are within our price range (From this area could we take a sky train to closer to the Wats or do we need a taxi). Just not sure if the Sukhumvit area is right for us or not. It seems popular from previous posts I read. Definitely want to be in easy walking distance to lots of restaurants.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially for our last 2 nights before we fly out.

Also, not sure what to do since we arrive so early our first day after 20+ hours of flying. Hoping the hotel will at least let us leave our bags there until we can check in. Not sure how much we'd be up for when we first arrive as I'm thinking we'll be kind of tired and wanting a shower. Thanks!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Yes #1 is spot on. If your wanting temples, not high end shopping and a more relaxed feel you should stay by the River area. Also consider Banglamphu area near Khao Sans Rd which is also near the river. Plenty of good restaurants by the river. Chatrium, Montien Riverside, Ramada Plaza, Anantara Riverside resort, Navalai River resort, Riva Surya just some suggestions which fall in your price range

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Thanks, we were thinking of staying in two different areas in Bangkok to get a feel for the different areas, one for the beginning 3 nights of our vacation and one for the end. For our first three nights that includes New Years Eve so we wanted to stay somewhere that puts us in a good location for NYE festivities and don't mind being in the thick of things or in a busy area if it means we can walk to lots of restaurants at night.

I guess I was a little hesitant to stay by the riverside for the first part of our stay because some of the reviews I read (for the Chatrium) said that they could not walk to much and had to take a boat to the sky train to get to restaurants at night, and we really want to be able to walk to a variety of restaurants at night. Also the hotels by the riverside that are rated the best (like the Chatrium and Anatara) seem to cost much more (Chatrium is around $130/ night and Anatara Riverside is around $160) than the well rated hotels in Sukhumvit area ( I was finding hotels for $70- $100 among the ones I listed) so was wondering if we'd get more "bang for our buck" in the Sukhumvit area? We don't necessarily mind a city feel for this first part of our stay.

For the second stay we have in Bangkok (our last two nights), it will be after traveling to Chang Mai and Khao Lak, where we are staying in quieter areas, so I thought for this stay it would be good to stay somewhere where we can relax before our flight with a good pool and maybe where we can do some last minute souvenir shopping nearby.

I'm a little confused now. Does the riverside area have lots of good restaurant choices in walking distance to hotels? Maybe we could stay in Sukhumvit for the first part of our stay and the riverside for the second part? Where is best to be located for New Years Eve and to see fireworks and do something fun like dinner and maybe a classy bar for drinks?

Thanks so much for your help! Truly appreciate it! I will look into the other hotels you mentioned on the riverside.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

You won't go too wrong with any of your hotel choices. In the Sukhumvit area you can walk to many things from your hotel. Malls, street vendors, restaurants, nightlife and the Skytrain stops.

Even from a hotel "closer" to the airport you won't save that much time. Spend the last nights in Bangkok again. If you use the same hotel at the beginning and at the end of your holiday you could store some items on the first stay. Some tourists arrive in Thailand with winter clothing, boots, etc. The first hotel may store some items for you while you are running around summertime Thailand.

For flights back home I am always at the airport 2 hours ahead of time. From Bangkok to the airport plan on an hour but I have made it in half the time. (There is always the possibility of traffic tie-ups. Even from hotels nearer the airport too.)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Thanks! Any other opinions are welcomed! Leaning towards either of the Park Plaza hotels or the Four Points Sheraton for the first part of our stay. Are these located well for NYE and fireworks?

Still not sure for our last two nights.

Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Hi,

If your final 2 nights are about relaxing, you should have a look at Swissotel Nai Lert Park. It's in Chidlom, between Sukhumvit & Siam. The hotel has a gorgeous pool area, resort like which is rare in the city. Beautiful garden, waterfall, squirrels etc. We stayed for our last 3 nights in May & was the perfect end to a hectic trip! We got the business advantage room for your price, ask for a pool & garden facing room, all have good sized balconies. It's 10 mins walk max to BTS and only 3/4 mins walk to the river taxi which takes you to Siam via the canal 'back streets'. Worth a look :)

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Rgarding Sukhumvit:

We stayed in Four Points Sheraton in July and really liked the hotel. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the room was clean and updated and it was walking distance to all that Sukhumvit road has to offer. It is also right next to Terminal 21 and Siam Paragon, which both have really good food courts and nice movie theaters. We had to pay for Wifi which was annoying, but honestly it was some of the best Wifi we had in Thailand.

We are also a couple in our 30s and we enjoyed that area - a lot of places to walk to, restaurants to eat at, alleyways to explore, etc. There are plenty of stalls on the sidewalk selling all sorts of stuff, but I definitely agree with Spionnetje that the weekend market is awesome, plus it is easily accessible via BTS. We purchased Nancy Chandler's Bangkok map which has a very detailed overview of both the Sukhumvit and weekend market areas and that was incredibly helpful.

I do agree that staying in Khao San Road is much closer to the main sites and probably cheaper in price overall. We ended up taking public transpiration (BTS, MTS, as well as the river taxis) from Four Points to get to the main attractions, and while that is an experience in itself, it probably does take more time.

Staying near the airport the night before:

We were also the same predicament that you will find yourself - our flight was around 2:30am. We had just arrived back in Bangkok from Cambodia around 5pm, so we went to one of the malls, got dinner and watched a movie, which used up quite a bit of time. We ended up heading to the airport around 1030pm or so on BTS -> Airport link and got there without a problem. (I'm not sure how late the public transport runs, however).

Sounds like it will be an amazing trip going there for New Years!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Thanks Im2329, that is very helpful to hear from you about your experience in Sukhumvit. We decided to book the Park Plaza Sukhumvit for our first 3 nights, which looks to be very close to the Four Points Sheraton I believe, but the rates were a little better than the Sheraton's. So if you have any other suggestions for that area (favorite restaurants, bars that are not too wild, etc.), I'd love to hear them. Where do you purchase the Nancy Chandler Bangkok map?

I think for our last two nights we are going to stay at the Anatara Riverside, because it has a pretty good deal for those dates, and then we will get to experience a different area of Bangkok as well, and the pool looks nice for lounging on our last day before our flights. Any must dos/ suggestions while we are at the Riverside area (we will probably see the temples during the first part of our stay, so will have already seen those)?

Is the weekend market easier to get to from Sukhumvit or the Riverside area? We will arrive on a Sunday, so could potentially go our first day, or we could go one of our last two days potentially. Is the market in the evening or during the day?

Thanks again to everyone for all your help and feedback. So excited for our trip!

Berkshire
Level Contributor
423 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok hotels for beginning and end of trip

Here you go orchid6510 - http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Chandlers-Bangkok-26th-Edition/dp/6169046236/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378845799&sr=8-1&keywords=Nancy+Chandler

JJ Market is at Mo Chit at the end of the Sky Train line. Get off the train, look over the wall and there's the market. :-)

Edited: 4:47 pm, September 10, 2013