We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

Mississauga, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

Hey all! I am flying out to Bangkok tomorrow and will be there from Sept 7-9th. Then going to a couple islands and arriving back to bangkok for 20-21st and then fly back to toronto on the 22.

While im in Bangkok I'd like to get a couple custom suits and maybe shirts tailored. Could anyone give me some suggestions of reputable, affordable tailors and their exact location.

Also any advice on this custom garment making would be much appreciated. Will it be possible to place an order and i suppose a deposit? and then pick them up on Sept 21st and pay the rest in full.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

Aleem

The best advice I can give is: don't do it!

Just enjoy your holiday and forget about the tailoring.

Alan

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

Your schedule makes you the perfect mark; you have no time to work things out when they hand you a pile of rags at the airport. Thai tailors love people like you.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

Don't do it. If you want a good suit made ANYWHERE, you need to be fitted at least 3-5 times. Unless you have that type of time, save your money. Saying that you got a custom suit made is one thing....Having that said suit look like $hit on you is another!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,034 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

And if you decide to do it anyway despite good advice above - - DO NOT - pay the whole price up front!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

And I just re-read your question. REALLY a bad idea to get this done!

If you are getting a "custom" suit made anywhere, you need to do more research than asking TA the day before you leave.

You need to understand cut, material type and quality, sleeve length, lapel, shirt collar type, button stance, break, etc, etc.

PLEASE don't walk into a tailor in Bangkok and ask for a custom suit and have them fit you for a suit without at least knowing what you are doing.....and more importantly, what they are doing.

I see it often. A man walks into a shop in Bk asking for a suit and shirts. He gets measured and comes back the next day, Tries on the shirt. Tailor asks how it feels. Guy says ok. Tailor asks about the sleeve length. Guy says it's ok. You CAN'T know that without having a jacket on! You NEED to have a jacket on to know if the shirt sleeve is proper. If you are not showing some cuff, you really look horrible.....and I don't care how much money you spend.

You want my advice....go and get some linen shirts made. Get a spread collar and flap pockets and call it a day. You can get good stuff for appr $35/shirt!

Edited: 11:43 pm, September 05, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

Not to mention walking in to any tailor shop in sandals, flip-flops or sneakers and having them take you inseam length. Then the tailor asks...how do the pants look...and you respond..."looks good."

You CAN'T know that without proper shoes on!

See...you will feel that you have a "custom" suit on at work, and it will look like $hit if you don't know what you are doing!

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,050 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

Aleem A , just dont do it !!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

Even if you find a good honest reliable tailor in Bangkok in the time available you do not have the time for the number of fittings that would be required to get a good tailored suit.

In fact if you go into all the tailors the one that tells you it can't be done will be the good one!

9. Re: Reputable, Affordable Suit and Shirt Tailors and Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 08, 2014