We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Thailand/Philippines

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Thailand/Philippines

Hello Everyone,

I am planning my first trip to Thailand/Philippines and could use some advise. Right now my itinerary is follows:

1. Arrive in BKK, spend 2/3 days in the city then spend 4 days in Pattaya. (Avoiding Phuket as it seems over-hyped) - Overall 7 days in Thailand

2. Fly from BKK to Cebu City, Phillipines. Spend 7 days in Cebu. The fly back home.

Is 2 weeks enough for a trip like this? My goal for the trip is to have fun, party and enjoy all the cities nightlife/beaches. I just don't know if I'm trying to cram too much into 2 weeks. If you think I would need more time, please feel free to share your thoughts. I'm going with one friend who seems to only be able to have 2 weeks of vacation time. But I'll try to convince him to get a few more days if you feel it would really enhance the trip experience.

Also, how much should I budget for spending money on this trip? I don't plan to do a lot of shopping and will be eating local foods...but I will be partying :)

Thanks for all your help everyone...I'm excited about this adventure

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

You are trying to cover too much IMO. Won't be anywhere long enough to get a proper feel for the place. I would do 5 days Bangkok. 4 days Pattaya. 5 Days Phuket. See which one you like best and go back next year. If you're not bothered about saying any of them again, try the Phillipines.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

Thanks for the feedback!

Should I book all my hotels ahead of time or will I be able to find good accommodation if I drop into hotels when I'm here. My budget would be US $70 per day which I think should get me somewhere decent to stay

new brunswick
Level Contributor
547 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

Taking the quickest route from Toronto to Bangkok trip is roughly 21 hours one way from gate to gate, so factor in two days just for flying in your time schedule. 2-week time frame is a bit tight to all three locations.

You may be able to get Toronto to Bangkok in the outbound segment and Manila to Toronto in the return segment on Eva Air in order to save the trip back from Manila to Bangkok.

As this is your first trip to Thailand and Philippines in the high or peak season and time schedule is tight, recommend you to pre-book hotel in advance.

Budget for spending money depends very much on your party style. I tend to think US $ 100 per person per day for BKK and Pattaya as a starting point for party-goer.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

Since you are still in the planning phase consider round trip to Bangkok. Then round trip Bangkok to Philippines and return. It looks like you are flying one way to Bangkok and one way back home from the Philippines to Canada.

This is something you should do the math on. When I fly from the US to Bangkok on major airlines the price for round trip and one way flights are not too much different. You might save some money using round trip.

(Up to you.)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

Apart from the very long flight there and back from your home country, to split such a short time into two countries would waste too much of your precious holiday. Each time you change country, don't forget that it takes up pretty much the whole of one day by the time you get to the airport, waiting, waiting, waiting, then at the other end waiting, waiting, waiting - luggage, immigration and then the journey back to whichever hotel you've chosen.

Again I think it would be wise to firm up your itinerary and pre-book accommodation. Firstly because there's nothing worse than arriving in a strange place and having to drag your luggage around in the heat looking for somewhere suitabloe to stay. Secondly, it's often quite a bit cheaper to book on line than as a walk in.

If you're looking for a beach, then Phuket is a great deal better than Pattaya in that regard, although it is a good deal more expensive. I'm not a beach lover, so perhaps others on the forum could advise you of a better beach destination than either of them and I believe there are some lovely beaches in Thailand.

Cebu . . . . eeeeek. Went there a long time ago and wondered why we did. There are certainly some interesting and lovely places in the Philippines but for us Cebu wasn't one of them. Perhaps a wonderful transformation could have occurred since our visit and there is now a beach. There most certainly wasn't when we went.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
440 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

I have been in Thailand for many years and would not recommrnd Pattaya or its very poluted beach. For party its OK. I spent a year on Boracay Island way back in 1988 long before it had electric. White Beach is beautiful with sand that makes it look like snow. Very clean beach and sea. I don't know about the night life as there was very little in 1988.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

Go to Pattaya and Bangkok for nightlife. Pattaya is easy to get to and the city transportation is just about the cheapest in Thailand for tourists. Yeah, the beach sucks! Everyone knows that. Although Asians do swim in the water but not too many Europeans. Many hotels have pools anyway. Over the past 10 years Pattaya has done a lot to attract more tourists. There are many couples who visit Pattaya, some with children. Visit one of the big malls in the afternoon or evening and you will always find couples and family groups wandering around.

Cebu Pacific Airlines, if that is the airline you will use, like many discount airlines, there are those who hate them and others who will put up with anything for a cheap price.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

I want to thank everyone for taking the time out of your busy schedules to provide your feedback. I've thought it over and I feel that I should try and stay in Thailand for the duration of the trip. (It's my first time in SEA so I think that would be best). Attached below is my proposed schedule...feedback welcomed :)

1. Arrive in BKK and spend 2 days there

2. Fly to Phuket spend 7 nights there. (I am going on this trip with a friend and he demands we go to Phuket so I am trying to compromise)

3. Fly back to BKK and cab it to Pattaya spend 3 nights there.

4. Cab it back to BKK spend 1 night there and fly home.

Again my purpose to the trip is relax, meet friendly people, eat great food, party/nightlife every night, see some cool things (i.e. muay thai fights, etc).

I also may have the option of staying by myself for an extra week as my friend leaves. Factoring that, should I change the sequence of the cities I visit?

thanks all.

Edited: 12:13 pm, September 03, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

I want to thank everyone for taking the time out of your busy schedules to provide your feedback. I've thought it over and I feel that I should try and stay in Thailand for the duration of the trip. (It's my first time in SEA so I think that would be best). Attached below is my proposed schedule...feedback welcomed :)

1. Arrive in BKK and spend 2 days there

2. Fly to Phuket spend 7 nights there. (I am going on this trip with a friend and he demands we go to Phuket so I am trying to compromise)

3. Fly back to BKK and cab it to Pattaya spend 3 nights there.

4. Cab it back to BKK spend 1 night there and fly home.

Again my purpose to the trip is relax, meet friendly people, eat great food, party/nightlife every night, see some cool things (i.e. muay thai fights, etc).

I also may have the option of staying by myself for an extra week as my friend leaves. Factoring that, should I change the sequence of the cities I visit?

Also my budget (not including flight) is 120K Baht. Would that be enough?

thanks all.

Edited: 12:15 pm, September 03, 2013
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First trip to Thailand/Philippines

I might be too late to change your mind but what the heck.

Since you didn't ask for suggestions from the Philippines forum, I will still provide you with my unsolicited advice. Cebu is a good base for very untouristy beach destinations such as Siquijor, Malapascua, Bantayan and Bohol. 1 week should be enough for a beach destination that's not as crowded as Thailand's beaches.

If I were you I'd stick with 1 week in Bangkok with trips to Ayutthaya and maybe another nearby place for the food, shopping and cultural trip. Then spend 1 week in the Philippines just for the beach.

As unbiased an advice as I can give, Philippines should win when it comes to the beaches and natural scenery but go to Thailand for everything else. You should note that many of our beach destinations are still very raw and undeveloped hence their virgin-like state. Accommodation and food choices will be basic and incomparable to the likes of Pattaya and Phuket. If this is what you want then give us a shot. If you want more developed beach front cities then Thailand it is.

Hope you can visit the Philippines in the future. And no, Palawan is not touristy. At least no where close to Boracay. Google Coron and El Nido. Amazing places.

Edited: 1:53 am, September 05, 2013