We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

Howden, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

Been advised by a friend who lives in Bangkok to get Baht here now, what is the current rate in Bangkok for the pound?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,650 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

This holds daily rates.

…daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

What reason has this friend given ?? It nearly always better to change your money in Thailand.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

"Been advised by a friend who lives in Bangkok to get Baht here now, what is the current rate in Bangkok for the pound?"

Well if "here" is in the UK you will get a worse rate than changing money in Thailand! Plus in the UK you will also probably be charged a commission too.

There is NO problem finding a place to change money in Thailand and for most currencies you get a better rate changing in Thailand! Bank money changers available 24 hours a day at the airport. (If your friend is changing money at stores and hotels of course he gets a poorer rate.)

There must be a thousand posts on changing money in Thailand - almost all of them recommend doing it in Thailand!

Keep in mind that rates change every working day, maybe even a more than once in a single day. Find your currency on this bank list. Then check the rate a day later and a day after that.

…daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
568 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

I imagine your friend has been watching the baht's strength decrease against the £ recently, it's almost 50THB to £1 at the moment. And is maybe thinking to get it now while you can get more for your money?

That rate won't be any different in Thailand though - whether it gets higher (which it might), or whether it drops. However, the fees charged here may likely be higher, so even if it drops a bit, you're still better getting the money over there, and with a credit card like Halifax Clarity or Santander Zero.

I know ever have a small amount of local currency on my for when I arrive, just in case there's a problem with the ATMs at the airport or my card. And I try to purchase this cash through an online agency rather than high street or Post Office: moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Edited: 8:50 am, August 29, 2013
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,331 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

Hi,

Exchange your Sterling in Bangkok but not too much at one time since the baht has been losing ground in recent days.

UK
Level Contributor
893 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

Hi Tony826 good advice here. Even the airport gives better rates than Uk, I usually pick up some walking money on arrival from the exchanges at airport.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

I got 49.5 baht yesterday.

The only downside with that is, I'm having to leave for home today :((((

Scotand, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

It shouldn't shock people that the UK is a rip off for foreign currency as with everything else.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,493 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

Its obvious buying Thai baht in England is going to be more expensive than changing your money in Thailand.

Great to see it around the 50bt mark again, hope its still up there, or even higher in Jan 2014.

9. Re: Anyone in Bangkok right now? exchange rate for Sterling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 07, 2014