We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

ayrshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

A Bangkok-Chiang Mai special express train derailed in Lampang on Friday evening, closing the State Railway of Thailand tracks until Saturday morning.

My question Is who else is thinking is it time to rethink my travel plans?

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

Common sense should tell you to maybe use the far quicker/safer option of air right now...not much difference in the overall cost neither..so why compromise your safety for a few lousy dollars?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

I would avoid the train at least until the end of the rainy season, if not completely. Flights with Nok or Air Asia are really not much more expensive than the train.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

"My question Is who else is thinking is it time to rethink my travel plans?"

If that means cancelling your flight to Thailand I think that would be a little silly! Train travel isn't the only method to get around Thailand. If Plan "A" doesn't work have a Plan "B" in mind for backup.

I don't think any train derailment will deter too many visitors to cancel their flights. There are many long distance bus rides too. Sometimes fate moves you to choose a different path that still works out good too!

Always have a "Plan B" in case stuff happens!

Centreville...
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

I'm seriously considering it. Was planning the Chiang Mai - Bangkok overnight train in October. For pennies more we can fly.

3 in a month is a concern.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

I definitely wouldn't cancel my trip to Thailand but I would now think twice about taking the train and would book a flight.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

I'm a great fan of rail, including Thai rail.

But the legacy of "deferred maintenance" on the railways has been paying big dividends in derailments on the northern part of the line between Bangkok and Chiang Mai over this rainy season. As that part of the line has some scenic but also risky steep drop-offs just adjacent to the line - it's perhaps only good fortune that a train hasn't plunged down one of those slopes - with rather worse consequences than so far.

Between Bangkok and Phitsanulok I would not worry. North of Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai I would go by road (daytime only because of the somewhat dicey safety record of overnight buses - especially at heavy travel times) or air.

If you want to go by road, you may wish to consider Nakhon Chai Air coach/bus "First Class" (which is their strange branding for VIP) daytime bus between Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Alternatively, coaches of The Transport Company, the biggest (and well regarded) operator.

If you fly you may wish to consider avoiding Orient Thai as they still don't give confidence of adequate focus on safety after their fatal crash in Phuket some years ago - and a recent incident this year.

Otherwise - enjoy a safe trip.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

Carolyn.

"I'm seriously considering it. Was planning the Chiang Mai - Bangkok overnight train in October. For pennies more we can fly. ........3 in a month is a concern."

Even when Bangkok was threatened with floods - tourists still arrived by the thousands! Even when political demonstrations clogged the streets of Bangkok - tourists by the thousands still showed up at Suvarnabhumi!

When I used trains to Hat Yai years ago they would slow down because of bad tracks or flooded train tracks. I still took the train back then. You just adjust to what ever comes up!

II would not cancel any flight based only on the possibility that a train might derail!

When one door closes other doors open up!

Up to you!

Centreville...
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

We decided to skip the train and fly to Bangkok. Plans were to take a first class cabin, so the flight ended up cheaper, and now we'll be better rested for our first day in Bangkok.

Always pays to be flexible!

ayrshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

I have already paid for the rail tickets and also paid to have them couriered to the UK.

I really wanted to take the train for the experience rather than to save money, but I am having a real dilemma about the safety aspect.

If I was a betting man what odds would I get for another one to happen in the next 4 weeks!!!!!!!

Carlow
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: derailment third in a month Time to change travel plans?

I'm in the same bind! Tickets bought, couriered to Ireland and really wanted to go in the overnight train. I'm just holding on to see if anything else happens and hoping to get a last minute flight from chiang mai to bangkok if needs be. Hate to waste my tickets though!