We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

Hi all, I am in need of some pretty serious dental work- crowns, 2 implants and veneers.

I am in my mid 20's and have been working my butt off for the last year saving money for the dentist and have just barely enough to get everything I need done by the looks of it. roughly 10,000 saved up for the lot. I am getting real nervous about choosing a dentist and a clinic, as the last time I went to bangkok to have some minor dental work done at a smaller local clinic it didnt turn out very well. The larger clinics and hospitals like BIDC etc seemed really pushy but Id like to get some opinions if anyone has any feedback on their experience regarding more extensive dental work like crowns, and implants. Its getting down to choosing time and I have been scouring forums which seem to be 50/50 on all of their experiences. If anyone has some honest experiences and reccomendations out there, please share. I have also been contemplating India but wouldnt even know where to start.

Cheers!!

215 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

You will find a high quality of work , remember that major work like yours takes time. Last August a friend of mine had major work done in Thailand with great success a at very reasonable price.All up the whole trip cost him about $8000 AUD The work was done over 10 days , so he decided that as he needed to visit the Dentist every day rather than having it done in Bangkok he went up to Chiang Mai, as it is much quieter..Sometime ago on the Chiang Mai Forum there were post on Dentists. . Different people will have different outcomes and expectations , I image that major work will be very uncomfortable. I suggest you look at the web site for chaingmaidental4u.

I have had only minor work done there myself a couple of fillings and a wisdom tooth out.

Good Luck

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
85 reviews
2. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

ta l, you could read this and then PM some of the posters for their

"honest experiences and recommendations"

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k…

Good luck

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
181 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

We are just back (April) from having implants (big job) for one of us and a crown for the other.

Our work was done at Vejthani Hospital (Dentalis) being a big private hospital in the Bangkapi area of BKK. We both have nothing but praise for the treatment we received.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
4. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

First, Bangkok is the right choice. Second, my family and i use Bangkok Smile Dental clinic. Great doctors. Met a lot of aussies there. Aunt got multiple implants done a few years back and so far so good, especially when she paid one third of what she was quoted in Australia.

Karachi
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

Hello,

I would advise going to a dental hospital which is also teaching. This will mean some extra forms to fill, but these places are cheaper than private dental practice, and there you can get quality advice from teachers and clinical experts working there. Long dental treatment will no doubt require time and cost. But in these places, it is safer and the outcomes expected can be better.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

I had 2 crowns (and 1 bridge) done by Dr. Kim at Sukhumvit Smile Dental Clinic on Asoke. I was so comfortable with him and the work was fabulous! He is meticulous and very visual in his work. He's the best they have. Do NOT see anyone else there.

You can book online and only request him. As you have already exerienced (as did I) they don't all do a good job. Oh.. and don't confuse this clinic with the other one (same name) in Silom. The Sukhumvit Smile Clinic is the one you want. They are equipped with a lab on the premises so it speeds up the process as they don't have to send your veneers out somewhere else to be done.

Dr. Kim at Smile Clinic on Asoke teaches at a university. He is really, really good. ...Quite a sense of humor too! (And he's cute too! ..just thought i's through that in.) ^_^ When you see how he does crowns it's different from other dentists.

Having said that.

After the crown is made he fits it first without cementing. He draws the contour on the tooth and desired length with a dark colored special ink pen. Than he upon approval drills it as needed and you can take as long as you need to decide how you want it. Blackening out the shape really shows how it will look before it's done. I've had crowns in Bangkok before but have never had this procedure. They gave me the best dentist in their clinic as I had a bad job previous (and he thought so too.)

This dentist honored that 2 years later. Oh ya. He also let me know the color number for future reference 2M2 and it looks believable. It's actually about the same color as his teeth. I asked his opinion and he explained.. Asian culture does the shape as natural looking as can be with the front teeth slightly longer than the eye teeth. American culture gets veneers or crowns contoured the same length. (I did not know that#%^*+_!? It was interesting learning all this stuff while I was asking for an opinion. This was cool! - To show me the difference Dr. Kim colored out some areas to show me what it would look like American style. .Very cool to see the difference. I went with Asian style and love them!

You need to be available for 7 days. I know.. it seems like a lot but - it's not as bad as it sounds. You have the impression, cutting/drilling done on the first visit. Ask to pick your color on your first visit before he starts to drill!! Dr. Kim did each temporary separate - unlike the previous dentist who gave me one large, yellow colored block as a temporary for both front crowns. EEKS! Dr. Kim doesn't do that. (Mention it to make sure.)

As mentioned.. You have to be available for 7 days. If you book a return transfer 3 days away from the next appt; it works well. I like Hua Hin (only 2 hours and 40 minute drive.) You can stay there for 3 nights. I always use Mr. Roong. Email address: RoongSayam@hotmail.com (Mr. Roong Travel Mobile: 081-1915017) He's well established and reliable. He can pick you up from your Bangkok hotel and transfer you safely to your Hua Hin Hotel and return you to your Bangkok hotel 3 days later.

You can book a budget hotel in Hua Hin such as.. Thipurai City Hotel (Excellent location and cheaper than Bangkok.) If you didn't already know.. you can walk to the good area of the beach from here. The good area is in front of Centara Grand (formerly Sofitel Hotel) - not in front of the Hilton as it's rocky.) It doesn't have to be expensive in Hua Hin.

You can either sit under an umbrella (50 to 100 Baht day) and order food or a shake or alcohol from the menu. "Or" (like me after a day under an umbrella) take a hotel towel and walk a little bit farther down the beach past the umbrellas to an open area and stretch out and people watch.

With the time broken up it's not as bad a sit sounds. I enjoyed Hua Hin and Bangkok. Oh.. and there are cool things to do at night there too. Than you return to your Bangkok hotel in time to go to your 2nd appt; for cementing and contouring. The contouring is time consuming but well worth it.

The clinic will want you to book 3 appointments; the last appt; is just in case you weren't happy with your crowns on your 2nd appt; than they have time to make new ones. I did not know this on my first time to the clinic. There was no time to re-do mine as I was leaving in the wee hours for home. Also if you just want them to adjust or contour your veneers a bit more the 3rd appt; is handy to have. I was glad for the last appt; as I had the contouring slightly adjusted. Looked fabulous! Excellent dentist! And it's my own experience not some elses.

Edited: 6:35 pm, May 29, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
7. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

The best thing to do is use the search box here and read through all the posts you'll probably find names that come up again and again so should be very reliable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
136 reviews
8. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

Agree, this has been covered and posted on many times so you will find lots of info if you use the search facility.

Good Luck....

buderim
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
9. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

I have just heard a rockhampton lady died around Sept 16-18 in Thailand from dental work does anyone know anything about this

10. Re: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, March 15, 2015

Reply to: Quality dental work in Thailand..crowns, veneers,implants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted