We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand palace closed?!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Grand palace closed?!

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knew what was going on. My sis visited the Grand Palace yesterday but said no one was actually allowed inside as they were preparing for the king or something? They were allowed in the grounds though.

Can anyone shed some light? I was surprised as you always read that the GP is always open!!!

Cheers, Steph

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand palace closed?!

May i know who actually told your sis that the GP is closed?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand palace closed?!

There are rare occasions when the main temple, itself, is off limits. But, as you said, the "grounds" were open.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand palace closed?!

This is a well known scam of touts outside the palace steering tourists to other attractions where they get commissions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand palace closed?!

Yeah, I am aware of the touts outside the grounds who try and convince people that it's closed, but she was able to enter the grounds, just not the temples itself. This was not a case of the common scamming that goes on.

I was just interested to hear why they actually close the temples on occasion?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand palace closed?!

Changing the clothes on the Emerald Buddha is one example. That is done 3 times a year in around March, July and November.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand palace closed?!

There are some religious ceremonies and dignitary visits that make the temples off limits.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand palace closed?!

Gippy and OctoberSix, thanks so much for that information.

I couldn't believe it when she messaged me as hubby and I had warned her several times that the GP was never closed, and to ignore anyone that told her so! What are the chances that it actually was the day she got there?!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand palace closed?!

The people to ignore are those OUTSIDE the grounds. They are the ones who will attempt to divert you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand palace closed?!

Great, thanks again OctoberSix.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand palace closed?!

Hi

Yes Gippy was right. if the Clothes changing ceremony is on, the temple would be off limits as this ceremony only be done by the King or the Crown Prince.

Cheers,