We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aloft sukhumvit 11

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
3 posts
Save Topic
Aloft sukhumvit 11

Hello,

We are thinking of staying at the above hotel but are a tad hesitant upon learning it is very near to the colourful area. We have young kids and am only interested in having a safe and comfortable place to rest. Will this place be alright or should we be looking elsewhere?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,534 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

Aloft is fairly deep down Sukhumvit Soi 11, so you will be away from the biggest tourist streams and street vendors on the Sukhumvit main road. Soi 11 has many popular fairly high-end restaurants and bars, though, so it will be fairly busy until midnight. The street vendors offering the most peculiar goods are less prevalent in the immediate vicinity of the Nana BTS station (one of the exits is right at the Soi 11 and Sukhumvit main road intersection).

I doubt your kids will see anything too colorful unless you walk a fair bit towards Sois 7 or 13. Soi 8 across the road from Soi 11 has a Thai primary school, so the locals at least don't hesitate much about having their kids in this neighborhood.

The colorfulness of the area increases as the night progresses, but I expect your kids would be tucked safely into their beds latest by 9pm when the nightlife starts gearing up.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

If your kids have access to a computer they already have seen more than you did on your wedding day!

There is a concentration of bars on Sukhumvit Soi 4, some on Sukhumvit Soi 7 and here and there. But nothing naked on the streets like you have on many beaches in Europe. You actually have to go inside a go-go bar to see anything. If your kids are real young they wouldn't know anything. Thousands of tourist family groups stay in the Sukhumvit area all the time.

If you are still leery of this Nana area you can choose hotels in other locations. In the evening there will be less to walk to. Pratunam area is a little sheltered from nightlife, lots of shopping opportunities but in the evening after 9 pm a little dull. Maybe a hotel further down Sukhumvit to On Nut would also keep you away from temptation. Asok is one Skytrain stop down from Nana.

W Yorks
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

Hi,

It's in the Nana area and whilst Sukhumvit Soi 11 is certainly very busy, and there are a lot of bars and restaurants, I would not however describe it as being colourful in the Bangkok sense!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

It should not be a major problem.

But if you are really concerned change hotels, Bangkok has hundreds to choose from.

Maybe Riverside would be a better area for your family.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

i agree with dodger maybe if your that worried go down to the river where its more "sterile" im just back from staying in aloft last week and was really pleased with the hotel in terms of price cleanliness service etc and i like soi 11 as it has a nice mix of restaraunts bars clubs but has launderettes hair salons etc its a typical thia street maybe stay away from soi 4 though and soi cowboy at asok.

Minor negative it is a way from the sky train station and that might be hassle with kids they do run a shuttle to it but i rarely seen it in action.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

Soi 11 is a great, eclectic, street. It's not Patpong or Nana Plaza if that's your concern. Hustlers of all types congregate along various stretches of the main Sukhumvit Road. But along Soi 11 your main risk of hustlers is in front of the Ambassador Hotel (mostly would-be taxi and tuk tuk scammers) - as happens in front of many hotels and other venues around the city-country.

Asia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

Thank you so much to Goodsoil, Infidelal, toffeedoll, Dodger, Lee and Earthling for all your insights, they are very handy! Being first time in Bangkok, we do have our jitters and are somewhat reassured now. We like the fact that the hotel is rather new and are now glad that immediate surrounding is rather palatable as well :)

Asia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

If i may ask more, we'll be there for four days :

1. Good place to eat within the vicinity or elsewhere?

2. Worth going to Grand Palace, reclining buddha?

3. Any other not-to-be missed? Cultural + educational mix

W Yorks
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

There are many great places to eat in Bangkok - notwithstanding the many food stalls, Zanzibar, Rosabeing and Zaks along the Soi you are staying on all do fantastic food.

The Grand Palace and Wat Pho are not to be missed, but my personal favourite is Wat Arun - I have been about 9 times, and it always seems more tranquil than the other two.

I hope you have a great time in Bangkok!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Aloft sukhumvit 11

"Good place to eat within the vicinity or elsewhere?"

Malls will have food courts and other restaurants. Since you have kids with you there is no shortage of McDonalds - KFC - ice cream type places to eat or snack at. Supermarkets have sandwich fixings and cheaper drinks and snacks too. Just walking around you will find places to eat at. On Sukhumvit Soi 5 you have the Foodland Supermarket. In that store you have the Took Lae Dee Restaurant which is very popular. Both Western and Asian meals at good prices.

Tops Supermarket (soi 19, under Robinson store) also has a food court and a McDonalds above it.

If your kids are fussy eaters start them out at home with fried rice. No problem finding fried rice in many places in Thailand and it is cheap too! Just walking around you will find places of all price ranges to eat at.

Stick a hotel card in your kids shirt pockets. In case they get separated from you the police can find your hotel. Carry some toilet paper in your walk around bag and some Wet-Wipes for cleaning your kids hands off before handling food they eat to cut down on diarrhea. (Not all toilets have paper!!!)