We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Postage Stamps

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Postage Stamps

I know...

It seems silly

but, I like to send postcards

and, so how much does it cost to send a post card to the USA and Canada?

I know this post must sound silly, but this basic info is so hard to find. I assume I can buy stamps at my hotel. Are there other places in Bangkok I can buy them? Besides a post office?

And, where can you mail them? I usually dash into a hotel and give them to someone who looks like he works there. What do mailboxes looks like in Bangkok?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Postage Stamps

I think that it costs 15 Baht for an overseas post card, but don't' hold me to that.

Usually the little shops that sell postcards also sell the stamps so there is no need to go into a post office.

Mail boxes look like mail boxes. The only one I know for sure is outside Benjasiri Park which is a great big thing, but they are all over the place on the main streets.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Postage Stamps

I like your question.

I too send postcards. My parents and inlaws are not into email or facebook and love nothing more than to receive a post card when my husband and I travel.

I too will be on the look out for stamps and mail boxes!

Regards

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Postage Stamps

I don't know about postcards, but last Christmas my cards to the USA cost 28 baht each, so it should be cheaper than this. Try and locate a post office, not one of the many companies that do mailing for you, as they are a lot cheaper and you can choose some fantastic stamps that will really add to the exotic feel. Just ask your hotel where the nearest post office is, and you can buy the stamps and post the cards from there.

Here's an example of some Thai stamps; just ignore the prices, as that is their purchase price in the USA. Just look for the cover price in baht.

www.thaistampshop.com/index_en.php…

Alan

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Postage Stamps

Post cards up to 10 gram by air to USA or Canada cost 15 baht, heavier ones will be classified as letters and cost more. http://www.thailandpost.com/rate.php

Images of stamps can be found in Thailand Post e-shop http://www.postemart.com/en/historyen.php

The official post offices will have the blue-red-white-gray Thailand Post logo and the text Thailand Post in Thai (ไปรษณีย์ไทย) and often also in English. There is a post office next to the check-in desks on the Suvarnabhumi airport departures floor (near door 10),

Bangkok, Krung...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Postage Stamps

Hello,

We want to send some post cards but all the post offices are closed during Songkran. We have seen the red post boxes around but I heard a rumour that these are only for Bangkok or Thailand post. Does anyone know if I have to get to a post office to get my cards to the UK or if I can just put them in the post box? the latter would be much more convenient!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Postage Stamps

Hi,

Re #4. Do know the airport branch of the Thai Post has relocated/moved. It is still in the main passenger terminal but is on the 6th floor - not the 4th floor where normal passenger check-in activities take place.

When you enter the main terminal building and look towards the very back of the hallways, look up at top of the building located in the far back, its visible on the upper most floor next to a mini-branch of Siam Commercial Bank.

To get to the Thai Post office use the elevator or escalator near the end of row "N" and go up to the 6th floor.

Mail is not collected on state or Postal holidays, but can still be dropped off at any mail receptacle like a regular red mail box. It will be processed and franked on the next working day.

Travel Safe,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Postage Stamps

Laura M

On the red post boxes you will see two slots. The left hand one is for Bangkok, and the right one is for "other places". Put your cards in the "other places" and off they go to the UK.

Alan

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Postage Stamps

Hi,

Re #4. Do know the airport branch of the Thai Post has relocated/moved. It is still in the main passenger terminal but is on the 6th floor - not the 4th floor where normal passenger check-in activities take place.

When you enter the main terminal building and look towards the very back of the hallways, look up at top of the building located in the far back, its visible on the upper most floor next to a mini-branch of Siam Commercial Bank.

To get to the Thai Post office use the elevator or escalator near the end of row "N" and go up to the 6th floor.

Mail is not collected on state or Postal holidays, but can still be dropped off at any mail receptacle like a regular red mail box. It will be processed and franked on the next working day.

Most Thai Post collection boxes have two "slots" on them - commonly they are marked as "Bangkok" and "Other"

Mail dropped in the Bangkom slot is processed locally, for transport to the appropriate office for final delivery. Mail dropped into the "Other" slot is taken to one of their main processing centers for sorting and combining with other mail for transport to other domestic Thai cities or for movement to the Suvarnabhumi airport office for international export.

Travel Safe,

9. Re: Postage Stamps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 18, 2014