We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting tough on the taxis!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Getting tough on the taxis!

pattayamail.com/news/taxi-drivers-face-harsh…

Wonder if they really mean to sort this problem out?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

Daft question but why would they refuse passengers?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,202 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

Dwyall,

Some drivers have to change shifts at a particular time and are relucant to drive too far. As a result, they may refuse passengers.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

It might also be due to traffic conditions. And at tourist spots most drivers try to make a killing and will refuse every passanger that is asking for the meter to be used.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

I've lost faith with taxi drivers generally in Thailand.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

Ahhh thank you for taking the time to answer me and makes sense why they would but doesnt make it right.

With a first trip pending I am dreading the taxis, got a handle on them in Goa and know distances etc but completely at a loss with Thailand taxis, should be an interesting time

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

I'm with Chrella, post no. 4

What about the tuk tuk drivers???? That's more the prob IMO

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

There's an excellent BTS (skytrain) system in place in BKK, so use that whenever and wherever possible.

And do not get into a tuk tuk!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,202 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

Dwyall,

You should be able to reach most places of interest by public transport:

http://www.transitbangkok.com/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

I used the taxis twice in Bangkok and both times the drivers tried it on. The first time was a taxi from the Chatrium to Lebua Hotel, which is only a short distance but due to my wife being dressed up with unsuitable footwear for walking we ordered a taxi.

I informed him of our location and he proceeded to try to drive up towards Siam square, when i informed him that he had passed the Lebua he stated he didnt hear my initial instructions properly ( I pointed to the building when leaving the Chatrium, it isnt small).

The second time was on the way to the airport from the hotel, the driver quoted me a fixed fare and refused to turn his meter on. It was only when i informed him that i wanted another taxi that he very reluctantly turned his meter on (The rest of the journey was undertaken with a very frosty atmosphere in the vehicle which isnt what you want at the end of a great holiday).

The final fare was a third cheaper than the one originally quoted. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth. This sort of thing happens in most countries, but these guys are so blatant with it !!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting tough on the taxis!

Fantastic link AjarnAndy thank you very much, I am planning our days in BKK now so will use that to help.

Tuk tuks dont fill me with enthusiasm at the best of times and was going to give them the widest berth possible and its just been confirmed RainmanMumbai, love the ones in Goa but only use them after a few glasses of something to numb my vision as they can be hair raising to say the least :-)