We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Lanta or Phuket for a week stay in August 2013?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Lanta or Phuket for a week stay in August 2013?

(also posted on general Thailand forum)

Hi

Myself and wife (52, 46) are planning a 10 day trip for August this year. 2 days in Bangkok and a 7 night stay elsewhere at a luxury beach place - thinking of Phuket or Koh Lanta.

We went to Langkawi last year and stayed there for 6 nights - and had a great time. Is Koh Lanta like Langkawi - or much quieter? I have heard that Phuket is more lively then Langkawi.

ALSO - websites say that in Koh Lanta this is low season - it rains a lot also. But how bad is the rain?

Thx in advance.

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Lanta or Phuket for a week stay in August 2013?

It varies a lot each year, it can be a little or a lot. If the weather is a concern then think about Koh Samui which has good weather at that time of year, while Phuket, Lanta etc and the Andaman coast enjoy the monsoon. For Koh Lanta you have to consider seas conditions too as ferries are the only way to get there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,160 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Lanta or Phuket for a week stay in August 2013?

August is not the best time to visit either place or anywhere on the Andaman coast ..

Besides that, Phuket is definitely a lot more lively then Langkawi but its also very expensive resort.

Koh Lanta is much quieter but still more lively than Langkawi.

But its not hard to be more lively than Langkawi :-))

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Lanta or Phuket for a week stay in August 2013?

Been to Phuket last October. I think you should plan Phuket alongwith one more place like Krabi, Ao Nang or Koh Phangan (little far from Phuket). What you can do is Flight from Bangkok to Phuket and return flight from Krabi to Bangkok. You can enjoy 2 luxury resorts.

Phuket has a lot of places to visit.

You can buy tickets from

Airasia.com

http://www.flyorientthai.com/en/home/

Bangkok air

Edited: 12:18 pm, February 13, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Lanta or Phuket for a week stay in August 2013?

I think you need to do a little bit more research to see what will suit you better. We have been to Langkawi and it is nothing like Phuket, I think maybe somewhere like Bophut in Samui would suit you and the weather should be better there.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Lanta or Phuket for a week stay in August 2013?

Chrella

You say "........We have been to Langkawi and it is nothing like Phuket......".

Do you mean Langkawi is better or worse than Phuket?

6. Re: Koh Lanta or Phuket for a week stay in August 2013?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 17, 2014