We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do alone in bangkok?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Camberley, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do alone in bangkok?

Hi,

I am going to bangkok at the end of march, to visit my brother who lives in bangkok. We are planning to go to vietnam for a few days for a road trip. When we return to bangkok he will have to return to work which will leave me alone for the most part days/late evenings. Can anyone suggest what would be good to go and see and do? I have been looking online but it seems to be full of days out for couples/groups nothing really for going solo. (Is seeing a sex show alone a bit wierd?!? lol)

if anyone can suggest awesome things to see and do that'd be awesome! or if you find yourself in bangkok area at the end of march/ start of april give me a shout and we can grab a beer or something!

Cheers,

Chris.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

visit the Jim Thompson house, take the tour (100B) it is fun, cool off in the aircon shop, and then finish with a drink or something to eat in the teashop. I love it there.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

So much to do in Bkk, even if alone! :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
67 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

So glad I found this forum! I will be in Bangkok May 17 to 21 and have been looking at things to do by myself. Sort of had to change plans since my boyfriend will not be able to join me in Thailand. So the romantic stuff like a dinner cruise, Blue Ribbon movie & drink at Vertigo are out of the running, kind of boring alone. I have traveled a lot and have no problem going to a bar by myself (I am a salsa dancer & never had any problems in salsa clubs), but it would be more fun to have someone to go to other bars with (I don't drink, just to dance or observe). I did want to go see a "ping-pong" show because of the fact that you can't really do it anywhere else, just to say I'd done it, but I would be worried first about safety (don't want to be bonked on the head & drugged/raped/kidnapped), & also being thought of as strange. From what I understand, there are tons and tons of guys who go, or even couples, but what's a curious single chick supposed to do? Like, is it safe enough to wander & take a peek? I tried looking up nightlife tours, but the only thing is the Calypso Lady boy show. Any suggestions? Like is it possible to see one during the day? I'd like to wander Sukhumvit, Siam Sq, Soi Cowboy & Patpong night market: are they safe at night for a solo female?

I will be staying near the Sor Vorapin muy thai boxing gym & think it would be cool to take a class, & plan to go at least one night to the 5(6?)pm aerobics class in Lumphini Park. I will definitely do a klong tour or take some river ferries as that sounds cool, I hear there is a shooting range where they let you shoot AK47s which also sounds different, I will look into the food tour & my hotel has a pool so I have no problem filling my days, just wonder what I can do at night.

BTW, I plan to be on Ko Phangan for the Full Moon Party on May 25, planning to sleep on the beach as my hotel is on Ko Samui. Is it really worth it? If I just go during the day (same safety concerns going alone), will there be anything going on? Shame to go all that way & not go once.

On this trip I will also be going to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore, and Korea, & amazingly, one can salsa dance pretty much anywhere! but does anyone know if it is possible to rappel or bungee from the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur? I am not into temples, snake farms, cycling, hiking, or riding elephants, but any "different" or cool suggestions or connections to salseros would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

There is a Chinatown walking tour starting at River City, National Museum.

Check on their website which language the guided tours are held on what days. Every day in Bkk Post newspaper there is a space giving what is happening in Bkk re exhibitions or activities. Bkk has lots of concerts, all advertised in the daily paper, a cycling tour. Bkk caters for nearly all interests.

Just keep very clear of tailors and jewelry shops and of all the guys pretending to be helpful by providing a cheap tuk tuk ride.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
943 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

It's fine to go into a show as a solo male or female. Just do your research first as to the more reputable places to go. nana plaza and soi cowboy are the best IMO. Both have bars on the fringes wheere you can have a drink, with no hassle and people watch.

Patpong is tout/ hassle central.

It's also easy to strike up conversations with many other solo travellers.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

The Full Moon Party is all night long LOUD trance music, (not really dance music) "young" wild tourists jumping through fire. (If you're over 25 you're old there.)

There are people seen all over the Island with burnt hair. The Full moon Parties attracts all types of activety. Dr_g dealers walk the beach. It isn't really a Thai experience.. it's insane behavier that the Westerners (tourists) have created. (I'm just painting a picture so you know what to expect. I really have no opinion. If this is your thing than go for it.)

Oh.. and I had a friend who's friend (was alone,) passed out on a beach chair there and woke up to a Thai guy humping her leg. (I'm sorry but I crack up laughing when I think about it.) It could of been worse. But the good news is ..she was lucky - she checked her wallet and all her money was still there. (May-be that's why I find it so funny. - he just wanted to hump.) It was just a shock to her!

If you want to know what it looks like youtube: (Be sure to scroll down & read the comments under the video..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxovE6IE-kc

Vancouver
Level Contributor
67 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

Hey, fellow Vancouverite: Wow, thx for the video! Looks pretty much like another one I'd seen. I'm over 25 & not into trance but how can I not go?!! Don't care about someone humping my leg- I'm more worried about waking up missing a kidney. I gather if you want to crash on Ko Phangan you have to book 5 nites during FMP & I don't want that. Have you been? Is it possible to show up & find a room for the night?

I do meet people traveling but rare to find someone who'd have my back if I was drinking, so I probably wouldn't. If the festivities don't start til after sunset, you are stuck there as no more ferries, right?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

Not sure if you are a man or woman but... I hope you do read the posts under that video.

Having said that.. keep your wits about you. Don't appear vulnerable or too drunk, do not walk the beach alone at night (..Whether you are a man or woman!) And if you are going - best to be in a group.

Anytime there’s this many people together in one place drinking, drugging, not well lit in spots, bad stuff is going to happen. It's also an opportunity for Thai (bad boys) to do what ever they like, where ever they choose, to an easy prey. The party has also degraded to people trashing the beach.

If you go..

You will go to Had Rin Peninsula. Had Rin is also the most developed and least authentically Thai beach on Koh Phangan. I don’t suggest staying in downtown Had Rin. I suggest staying in Had Leela.

Had Seekantang, also known as Had Leela, is located on the western tip of the Had Rin peninsula, about 15 minutes walk from the town centre. It’s a long white sand beach that is fairly thin in places and has a rugged appeal. There are mangrove trees dotted along the coastline and several old and new resorts are set back in the palms. There is still a bit of the old Pha Ngan vibe in some of the bungalow resorts and you can get far away from the maddening crowd in Had Rin, whilst still being able to pop in for a midnight visit to 7-Eleven.

Also.. it is best to spend the night in a pre-booked bungalow as you will get stuck there over night. The last thing you need is to be stranded without a place to sleep. The festivities go on ALL NIGHT LONG - there is no break or peace in Had Rin. Ferries don't travel there at night (or if the water is rough.)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
67 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

Thanks for info! What time do things start "happening"- ie day of party or only after sub goes down?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: What to do alone in bangkok?

Chris,

A nice tour not usually made by tourists is the Erawan Museum (the 3 headed elephant) Ancient Siam and nearby the crocodile farm. They are all in Samut Prakan. May be cumbersome to get there but with the BTS to Bearing and a Taxi you should pull it off.

If you are interested in techs Fortune Town could be a nice place to go.

I would advise also the Dusit Park (zoo) but read its history before going to appreciate it.

The Rama IX park is also worth a stroll.

Depends on your interests