We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Hello,

We are planning a big family holiday to Thailand for Feb '13, of which we'll spend 3 nights in Bangkok.

We have never been there before, so finding it a bit daunting deciding where to stay in Bangkok.

We are traveling with our 2 small kids (3 and 5 years old) and our parents, so we are looking for a central area that will feel safe. We will probably be after normal attractions, markets, dining and some shopping.

A friend told me that there is a nice area behind Khao San that is very central but quiet and clean (kinda vague, I know).

We are hoping to spend up to 2000bht per room per night.

Would love suggestions regarding an area to look into,

Thanks in advance,

Adi

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Thanks Alan,

Yep, you did just that :)

Is Phra Athit Road relatively clean and safe? (I know i'm talking about Bangkok, but with 2 kids and 2 sets of parents, We need these things into account).

I was also just asking about Banglamphu area, which to my understanding is nearby as well?

any preference?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Banglampu is the area that Phra Athit is in. In fact the Lampu Tree is situated near Phra Sumen Fort. Phra Athit is an up and coming area with some good accommodation and restaurants.

See here:

maps.google.co.th/maps…

Sorry about the spanner!

Alan

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Have a look at Grand Diamond Suites hotel, great shopping area for markets, and Malls. They have two bedroom suites. Not close to rail, but a van from air port works out cheaper when in a group. We arrive there Sat. for 8 nights.

Hervey

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
429 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

I would go along with many of the OP and say stick with soi 18 or 19 of Sukumvit. Close to BTS, easy to get around and plenty of dining options. No problem getting to the riverhop off at Saphin Taksin , then use the Chao Praya Express for getting to the GP and temples. China Town is also close by and the kids will love the boats on the river I'm sure.Heck we loved it and our days as children are long gone.

Detroit Lakes...
Level Contributor
30 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Book Marking.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

What about Pratunam area? Somewhere near Platinum Mall. Is it convenient? Convenient in the sense that close proximity to shopping area and easy access to eateries and BTS?

17. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, December 14, 2013