We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Hello,

We are planning a big family holiday to Thailand for Feb '13, of which we'll spend 3 nights in Bangkok.

We have never been there before, so finding it a bit daunting deciding where to stay in Bangkok.

We are traveling with our 2 small kids (3 and 5 years old) and our parents, so we are looking for a central area that will feel safe. We will probably be after normal attractions, markets, dining and some shopping.

A friend told me that there is a nice area behind Khao San that is very central but quiet and clean (kinda vague, I know).

We are hoping to spend up to 2000bht per room per night.

Would love suggestions regarding an area to look into,

Thanks in advance,

Adi

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Probably best to stay somewhere close to the BTS skytrain stations. Siam is the shopping area and it has lots of malls and restaurants. Otherwise somewhere in the lower sois of Sukhumvit might suit you. Khao San is pretty lively and more the backpackers area. If you are near the skytrain you can easily access shopping, markets, the river area (BTS Saphan Taksin station), chatuchak market (at the end of the line - Mo Chit station). Its very easy to get around quickly on the skytrain as they are very frequent, plus its air conditioned...but can get very busy and crowded at peak times.

muscat
Level Contributor
59 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Best place to stay is SUKHUMVIT AREA. where everything and anything is avalaible. and close by. hotel i suggest President palace. book directly from hotel website.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Hi

I'd vote against Khao San Road.. Only for two basic reasons... 1) It has limited accessibility.. No skytrain or subway access nearyby... and 2) the overall crowd demographics... While this is very subjective in assessment, my own viewtake here is that Khao San as a whole, speaking in broad terms, is not a prime place for kids aged 3 and 5..

So, where would I stay?

I'd look at the Siam, Pathum Wan area.. that's areas right around the Siam BTS station ... Sukhumvit is not bad-- LOTS of hotels that span the price range... but I'd personally opt for the Pathum Wan area only because-- again in general terms-- the overall crowd there tends to bit more upscale..

B2000 a night will make some Pathum Wan hotels out of range, but there are some, like the Holiday Inn Express and others, that should be well within your range.

Dining will be in abundance at both Sukhumvit as well as Pathum Wan.. but when you speak of shopping, NOTHING beats the Pathum Wan area as it's home to at least five (5) of the cities largest malls collectively-- Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery, Siam Center, MBK and Siam Center*

(Siam Center is not a formal mall, but is used in this context as a defined shopping area)

Travel Safe,

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,405 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Hi,

I would stay somewhere close to the Skytrain or Underground/Subway. Indeed, we always stay on Sukhumvit Soi 19 since it is close to many malls and great for dining. I had better add that it's right next to Asok Skytrain. The Kao San area can be a pain to get to/from.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

I agree with posts above that Kaho San area is probably not going to suit for the kids. True there are quieter areas around there but it's not brilliantly accessible apart from taxi/klong and then walk.

My vote would be either for Sukhumvit as they say, Imperial Queens Park on Sukhumvit Soi22, may be good option as great park alongside for kids and its right next to the Phrom Phong Skytrain which is brilliant for On Nut one way, huge Tesco/Lotus supermarket, or in the other direction you have Nana (shopping/eating) and Chit Lom (central shopping eating etc) and then Siam (Paragon and lots great restaurants).

You will ove BKK I am sure.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

we stayed at the Lebua hotel. It was fabulous. THe rooftop bar restaurant is great. THe rooms are amazing. we got upgraded to a suite which was more like a 2 bedroom apartment.

Service top notch.

We were walking around Bangkok in one of the malls and someone from the hotel was there and recognized us and stopped to chat and tell us where to go and the best way to get there.

we are actually going to Bali for our honeymoon in May and I want to jump over to Bangkok for a few days because we had such a nice time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Thanks everyone!!

much appreciated! I'm glad I asked as I would have been looking around the wrong areas...

now off to finding a hotel!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Adi

Time to throw a spanner in the works!

Take a look at hotels on Phra Athit Road, which is close, but not too close, to KSR. You have the Grand Palace, Golden Mount, Wat Po, etc. all within easy reach, and you can get the Express Boat to Saphan Taksin for the BTS. I think the kids would love the boat ride.

Alan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Just read a post saying that Sukhumvit area isn't great for getting to most touristic attractions and that Banglamphu is much closer to everything.

But then I read that Banglamphu is in Khau San area. so should I avoid it or is it worth a consideration?

Thanks again...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which area in Bangkok should we stay in?

Bangkok has also other tourist attractions than the temples and palaces in the Rattanakosin area which indeed is close to Banglamphu. For instance, if you want to visit the Chatuchak weekend market, it is very conveniently accessible from Sukhumvit using the BTS or MRT trains, while getting there from Khao San would be a tough proposition.

Khao San is targeting backpackers with price ranges and services aligned with their needs. If that is what you expect and need, it is a good place. Sukhumvit has accommodation, food, shopping and services from the fairly cheap to the expensive high end. You can get from the Nana BTS station to the Rattanakosin area in about one hour by riding to the Saphan Taksin BTS station and then taking the river bus to the Tha Chang pier close to the Grand Palace. The river bus ride is good fun and provides a nice view of the town from a different perspective. Even the BTS train ride is not a waste, since you will see quite a bit of the town from above the street level in addition to all the locals who will be riding with you.

I have stayed in Silom, in Siam, at the riverfront near Saphan Taksin and different parts of the Sukhumvit area, and I have kept returning to Sukhumvit.Obviously I have not been spending my time only in the Rattanakosin temples and palaces. If you only have few days and want to dedicate your time to them, then it makes perfect sense to spend your time next to that neighborhood.

Edited: 2:41 am, October 07, 2012