We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

Hi,

We will be spending about 2 weeks in bangkok and would like to look at all the sites etc. My girlfriend is absolutely terrified of seeing a snake. Where should we avoid if we don't want to bump into them either in the wild or around people's necks or on display of course.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

In all my time in BKK, I have only ever seen ONE snake and that was a tiny green garden snake.

That 10yrs including 5 as an expat living there.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

Don't go to the Thai Red Cross snake farm or any other zoo. You won't see snakes in Bangkok in the wild - there are plenty but they stay well hidden - the only time I've seen them in built up areas was during the big floods last year.

I'm guessing that you don't mean "Bangkok" but "Thailand"? Even in remote country areas its unlikely you'll see any either. I was in Khao Yai national park recently and the only sign of snakes were road signs "Cobra Crossing Ahead"!! Snakes sensibly try to avoid humans.

Edited: 1:50 am, October 01, 2012
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

Tell your girlfriend that the only snakes she's likely to see in Bangkok will be the two legged ones (see scams). They can be found in plentiful supply around the Grand Palace and in many other tourist spots.

Their modus operandi is to tell you that wherever you're going is closed and they will get you a cheap tuk tuk to take you to a jewellery shop, tailor or whatever other nonsense is the theme of the moment.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

There's more chance of you seeing them at home in Joburg than in Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

Strange that you should bring this topic up, as only last week I had a snake on my rear balcony, and I live by the river near the Grand Palace. It was about 3 feet long and very slender, and when it saw me, (or whatever snakes do to "see" people), it went off at great speed. I did have one fall on me from a tree, about 7 years ago, when walking down Phra Athit Road. I don't know who was more shocked; me or the snake. And only yesterday a monster floated by the ferry pier by Pinklao Bridge. It must have been about 10 feet long and I think it was a python, (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_reticulatus), and it was very dead. All the Thais on the pier took out their mobile phones are started photographing it, and that shows how rare seeing this type of thing is. In all the years I have been visiting and living in Bangkok, I have only ever seen 3 live snakes, (the 2 above and one more that I saw swimming in the river). The chances of you spotting a snake in Bangkok are remote to say the least, and you should impress this on your girlfriend. I cannot recall ever seeing a snake around anyones neck, either as a pet or to try and make money from tourists photographing it.

BTW, don't mention my posting to your girlfriend.

Alan

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,511 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

Snakes are everywhere in Thailand. But, seeing one is a very rare occurance.

Rain will often flush them out of hiding.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

It's been a very long time that I haven't seen any Snakes in Bangkok.

except frogs (it's too many) and sometime tokay but they hidden so I don't think you will see them. :P

but if you stay near trees/bush plant, just maybe in some places. :l

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

Over 10 years of visiting Thailand on occasions for long periods and outside of zoos have only ever seen 2 snakes in the wild 1 was in Sukhothai Province and 1 in Chiang Rai province, on both occasions it was out in VERY rural areas and on both occasions the snake ran off quicker than me.

Hope that re assures your girlfriend

Have a great holiday.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

wear jeans and biycycle clips, they won,t be able to go up your trouser leg

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,511 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Terrified of Snakes in Bangkok- where to avoid

Living in the northern suburbs of Bangkok, I have seen a half dozen snakes in the hood.

Forget snakes. We came across this little guy crossing the road on Rama V, along side the King's Palace:

…staticflickr.com/8181/8043073222_41629d1302…

He was just a pup, only about 2 meters.