We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phones

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
perth
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
mobile phones

hi, i'm a bit of a mobile phone novice but was reading about mbk shopping centre and noticed they sell mobile phones...i have a nokia that is about 2 years old and was wanting to update... can anyone tell me if you can use these phones in australia do you just take out the sim card...( told you i was a novice). what are the prices..are they cheaper than ours....

thanks westozee

bangkok
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phones

mobile carriers in thailand are majorly gsm, with smaller players using cdma, 1800, etc. you would need to check what kind of system you have prior to purchasing a phone.

are the phones cheaper in thailand? it all depends on what kind of promotions you have in australia, because in europe you can get a mobile phone for free by just sign up with a carrier. however in thailand phones and networks are sold separately, so our phone prices are not exactly cheap, though we do have the latest models on the market.

depending on the model you are looking at, cheap or expensive, if the latter i would suggest you buying it from the showroom instead of a vendor because you do not want to spend alot of money to find you have a faulty piece of equipment.

bangkok
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phones

you may want to research this prior; http://www.three.com.au

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phones

Phones in Thailand are it appears about the same price as in Aus.

If you decide to buy a new model while you are in Thailand then a couple of things to check.

Does the guarantee cover your home country.

If the cost is over 5000 Baht get a VAT refund for tourists. This gets you a 7% refund at the airport when you leave Thailand.

When you buy the phone ask where it comes from or check the box Check the language of the manual.

As has been said most of the latest models are available.

Enjoy your shopping trip.