We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

Bristol
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

Hi All,

Im hoping that you will be able to help me! Im looking to book some flights from London Heathrow to Bangkok in November 2012.

At the moment, having searched, Qatar Airways are coming in at 538 pounds return with a very reasonable stopover time in Doha (2 hrs on way out and 1 hr on way back).

There is also the option of a direct flight with Thai Airways for 598 pounds. Flight times of both airlines are good.

Im unsure as to whether its worth paying the extra for the direct flight when the layover times are so short in Doha, but Ive also heard that Thai arent great.......Thoughts please?

Also, should I be booking my flights now, or is it worth waiting a little bit to see if the fares come down? Is 538 pounds a good price?

Many thanks for your help!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

Considering THAI were selling London-Bangkok flights (discounted) 25 years ago at much the same price I'd say its a good deal! Qatar have a very good reputation and THAI are not what they once were, so its a toss up - a non-stop flight which is faster and acceptable, or two flights on a better airline with a break - and the possibility of timetable changes between now and then which <might possibily> increase your layover time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

I think they're good prices, we used to do Qatar and the stop over some years back, it's not bad but it's another landing , another take-off and a bit of messing around through security, but if you appreciate a leg stretch then its a good option and many of our friends still use it. We switched to direct flights a few years back and flew Thai , it's a long haul but we prefer it the short stop these days, Thai have upgraded almost all the fleet on that route now and have seat back screens . I've found both airlines to be good and had no complaints , we're flying EVA this year in premium ... Whoohoooo :)

I'd you want a break mid flight Qatar is good , but if you want a shorter journey time and no messing around en route then pay the extra for Thai.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,549 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

Hi,

Qatar Airways is a reliable airline to fly on. However, do bear in mind that the changeover in Doha can be a hassle and may involve getting on and off buses.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

Qatar are wonderful but we now fly direct and it sems to make the journey more bearable. Plus, we got stuck in Doha for 6 nights during the ash cloud crisis and it's scarred us for life! LOL. However, do alao check out Eva direct flights - they are a great airline and the planes are much newer than Thai Airlines. They also partner with Bangkok Air if you want to fly directly onto somewhere else in Thailand.

Bristol
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

Thanks everyone - this is really helpful!

I hadnt thought about schedule changes!

London Desmond - lucky you flying Premium!! :-)

is 538 pounds a good price for the Qatar flights?

Thanks!!

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

What time do you arrive with each flight? When I booked my trip the direc flight using Thai Airways landed at 8pm. Still early enough to dump your stuff and have a night out. Indirect would have meant it was too late to go out.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

As you're only going in November I would hold out a bit longer, the price isn't bad but I've seen better when Qatar has a sale, however you can never tell when this will happen, also Etihad and Emirates can also be cheaper when the sales are on. I use the Matrix flight price comparison website and do a quick check daily to see when prices come down but there are others that you can use, I usually book about 3 months before my departure

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,549 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

You could also check Oman Airways, they have some good deals.

Uk
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

Hi we came out Qatar the week before last. It was OK, but Emirates has been in in my view better.. Problem is Emirates have rolled up their costs, so are now more costly than direct, There was an hour delay at LHR which caused a tight connection in Doha- but we and our luggage all arrived together, Personally we quite like the break between flights, 12 hours in Zoo class is no fun.

I hear nothing but good about EVA, going to have to try them next time . Will let you know about return journey when it happens

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thai Airways or Qatar Airways?

Qatar is by far and away the best airline I have ever flown with. Just check the ratings on "Skytrax airlinereview" they regularly score between 9 or 10 out of 10.

Everything from the food, onscreen entertainment etc, attentive friendly air hostess unlimited free drinks was as they say in their ads 5 star. It's just a shame the airport at Doha is not so great if you have longer than 2 or 3 hour stop overs.

Emirates I find inconsistant and they seem to have bumped up their prices in the last 12-15 months. Just checking on the Skytrax review Emirates are scoring only between 5 and 6 out of 10

Edited: 1:27 pm, May 28, 2012