We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

hi

i was wondering if you can send gifts back to UK from Bangkok and what is the bset way to go about it?

Is there any taxes to pay by us or the reciever? Where is the Post office in bangkok and what are the limits on what we can send eg clothing, small trinkets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
106 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

There is a post office satellite at the airport on the departures level. Additionally, each Bangkok administrative district has a post office. Where are you staying?

You can send international packages from a Thai post office express mail service; reliable, but I can't recall what the rates are. There are also DHL and FEDEX offices sprinkled around Bangkok. Of course these will be more expensive than post office rates. It seems that a lot of tourists use the DHL office on Silom Road close to the Sala Daeng skytrain station.

Along with the normal prohibited items (alcohol,explosives) you cannot send images of the Buddha outside of the country. Clothing and trinkets are no problem. Honestly, I'm not sure about taxes. . .don't recall any. . .maybe someone else can chime in. . .

UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

thats great thanks for that im staying on Skuhmuvit road so ill keep a look out for the offices.

Thanks again

Bangkok
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

DHL is a good service. I have found that FEDEX is less expnsive though. There are also postal service companies like MBE that have branches around Bangkok. They use the Thai postal services but are perhaps a bit more convenient and will prepare your packages for you while you wait. I think you can find information on the internet.

AK
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

We shipped 2 packages a week apart from the post office to USA. That was late January-they told us 2 months. We have not received them. I'd send by courier. Our package sent from Hong Kong later has been here 3 weeks.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

Personally, i would send it by fedex

More expensive than local post but at least you know that it will get there

maybe you want to check out oneservice

they are located at silom soi 19 they have a bulk agreement with fedex and accept credit cards and you may get it at a cheaper price....please do check out

by the way, one service handles jewellery and gems and diamonds too

Most jewellers in silom use them especially the ones in jewelry trade center

AK
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

Princess sharon,

Do you know if the post office has a bad reputation for losing packages inThailand? We'd read we could ship by PO in our guidebook and Bangkok seemed modern and safe and we felt comfortable doing it while we were there-apparently an error in trust

We are sick about not getting them-we sent most of our souvenirs from India and Africa and Thailand. We'd loved Thailand, but not getting those packages is really changing our opinion. Having 2 mailed separately makes it less likely that they are simply lost.

Is there anyone we can contact to let them know to at least talk to the people at that p.o. We won't get ours, but maybe if it's reported it could help someone else.

If they don't come in another month (4 months), I plan to write Lonely planet and the other guidebooks to warn people.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

Personally, i would stick to fedex

I have had problems with the local PO so i wouldn't suggest it

You can register the parcel but it doesn't make a difference

Same goes for india by the way

Bangkok
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sending parcels from Bangkok how easy is it?

Very sorry to hear of your problem. You could try writing to the Thailand Post office and they will probably be helpful. ( Google the address - also a fax usually gets more response than an e-mail with most government organizations. I have even lost a FEDEX shipment, and i agree that they are one of the best. I have had many packages sent and received via the Thai post without any problem and would not necessarily think that the problem is with them - of course it could be. Can you ask your local postal service to do a check on the shipments?

I had friends who shipped things from here and it took about 5 months because of the size. So don't despair!