We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

Which is the best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok?

I have read about the following options : MBK, Siam Paragon, Fortune Mall, Pantip plaza. How to avoid getting into buying a fake one?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

While there are fakes they are few and far between, most of those very few seem to be at MBK or Panthip. I've never had any issues buying anything at Fortune Town and the vendors there are more prepared to spend a bit of time going through the stuff you're interested in. Siam Paragon is high end and you won't get any bargains.

There are chains like J Mart which are reliable and have some Ok deals, and they have branches in most malls and IT places. There are plenty of other good shops too.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

I've gotten a few phones from MBK. It's all on one floor so it makes it easy to shop around for a phone you like. The phones are real, the fake ones are there also but unbranded and most will tell you which is used or a knockoff model. If you are absolutely doubtful in that environment you can always go down the street to Siam Paragon mall. The new high end phones prices will be roughly the same price as MBK except in the mall there is no room to haggle the price. For the average phone, I would go to MBK as you can find a better bargain.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

Thanks for the replies. Being a tourist I would not want to take any risks. I think Siam Paragon or Fortune Town will be preferable for me in this case. Where will I get a better deal J Mart, Fortune Town or Paragon?

Thanks in advance for any more tips or suggestions

Edited: 2:18 am, May 05, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

J Mart's prices are the same at every branch. Fortune Town (Param 9 MRT stn) will give you the chance to compare prices, models and deals with other sellers. J Mart at Paragon will have the same stock but there are very few other phone shops to compare any deals with.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

Hi,

For the most part when you deal with a 'chain', be that JMart or the like, all the prices will be the same in all their stores in that metro area..

I think that it kind of depends on what you're looking for.. Here in Thailand, very, very few phones are sold on a subscriber-subsidized bassis (therefore very, very few are sold locked) as a result when it come to handset prices, it's based on "real" handset prices...

What I've found is that for **current** models, there isn't a whole lot of difference between merchants..

If you're talking about a phone that has since been replaced by a newer model, THEN you'll see some decent differences come up as retailers look to clear out their inventory.

As example, I've seen the first generation Blackberry Torch- 9800 retail for between B15,900, which is about what most all retailers now sell it at... but found it at TG Fone Shop for B13,900 but only in the dtac configuration (speaking to the specific 3G bands that the phone is manufactured with)

By contrast, I have not really found any price variation with the newest Blackberry Torch-9810, as most everyone is selling it for the same price, around B17,900 give or take a few hundred bahts at best.

There can be some savings to be had if you buy it using a specific *Thailand* bank-issued credit card, but this is really only for those who actually have a Thai-bank issued card.

The one other possible way to save -- and I mention this because your location profile shows a non-Thai location-- is IF you buy the phone from a shop that participates in the VAT refund program, it's *possible* to get the 7% tax back, that's built into the purchase price,

Not all merchants participate in the program, and it's purely voluntary for them to do so.. If they do, most phone purchases qualify as the purchase amount commonly meets the minimum spend levels.. The only thing you'd need to do is insure that the phone is actually exported (and not left here or given to a local as gift or otherwise) and done so within 60 days from the date of purchase.

7% may not be huge, but if two retailers are at the same price, but one participates in the program (and you meet the requirements) then that's a 7% price savings.

Travel Safe,

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

Hi...

One suggestion though. From my experience of more that 10 trips to Thailand, I haven't found much of a price difference between India and Thailand. Some models come at a better price here. And considering the warranty and service factors, I would prefer buying here. The option of getting the latest models also do not arise in the case of Thailand as both our markets are on similar launches. I have found value in TVs, Rice Cookers, digital cameras etc., that too after consideration the VAT Refund.

Regards

Prasanna

7. Re: Best place to buy mobile phone in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, June 22, 2013