We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Camera at Bangkok Airport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Camera at Bangkok Airport

Hi all,

My camera just died and I am planning on buying a Canon 550D - idieally the twin lense kit - when transiting in Bangkok in 2 days to Australia.

Unfortunately I do not have time to go into the city and get the real good deals. Also being told King Duty Free is rather expensive. Nevertheless I am wondering if anyone recently bought a camera there and could give me some insight. Or even a friendly traveller just sitting at BKK with time to waste and having a look for me?

Cheers

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,511 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Camera at Bangkok Airport

The Canon camera you buy in Thailand will have a "Canon Thailand" warranty. Besides the probable lack of any savings, repairs could be an issue.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Camera at Bangkok Airport

Buy it in Aussie, you'll probably get a better deal, and a proper warranty.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Camera at Bangkok Airport

Thanks for the replies so for

Buying in Oz would set me back a grand or little bit more from various internet shops.

Only savings would be doing a grey import but this will mean they come from HK and I do not have a warranty as well.

Bugger. Only thing u can say is that I never ever needed warranty on anything I bought in my life. Hopefully it stays like this. :-)

I might just have to have a look in 2 days or bite the bullet when I am back home.

Any more ideas from the folks out there?

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Camera at Bangkok Airport

I don't recommend buying anything from King Power, with the possible exception of wine upon arrival if you want to bring some into Thailand and didn't get it at departure (and you'd be wise to know the competitive prices for that particular bottle of wine). Wine tends to be heavily taxed and expensive in Thailand - thus this suggested exception to my personal rule of never buying from King Power.

What type of camera expertise would you expect from King Power? What kind of selection and pricing? In my comparative shopping of duty free options at airports around the world a few years back, King Power came in near, or at, the bottom globally. (There used to be Websites comparing duty free prices around the world - I trust that they still exist - but I no longer need to use them.)

A sister-in-law works for the main duty free vendor in a neighbouring ASEAN country, and "marvels" at pricing in BKK's branded goods and "duty free" outlets. King Power is also often more expensive than in town, in my experience.

In short, I echo bbtony. Don't rush the purchase by doing it with King Power.

Real good deals in camera equipment? Hong Kong? Singapore? New York and Los Angeles? Japan (Use Google translate on the Bic and Yodobashi Camera Websites..)? - If you're not a local resident, perhaps your best deal is from a reliable, best-available price dealer in your own country. This applies also to in-town BKK for residents or frequent visitors there. BKK prices are rarely stunningly good, but are also usually globally sort-of reasonable. There are some good photo shops in BKK, with good stock and knowledgeable senior staff. But I haven't found any that have King or Power in their names. BKK can be especially good if you're a bit flexible and can ride a good promotion on a model that has most of the features you want. When I bought a DSLR at IT City [www.itcity.co.th] in BKK, they loaded me up with bags, USB sticks, memory cards, and other accessories - plus were flexible on pricing on additional lenses, flash, and the like - and the price was globally competitive at the time - and on promotion. Now that I have a mirrorless EVIL compact system camera that takes most legacy glass [including from that DSLR], I plan a round of visits to the places that stock legacy glass to hunt for good stuff in BKK and SIN.

Having bought a fair bit of photo equipment, I HAVE needed quick after-sale service, more than once. Indeed, our son just won a video camera at his secondary school prom last Saturday. It's a dud (DOA, some folks say), and has to go back for service or replacement. He's working with the prom organizers to get the proof of purchase, and with the manufacturer on details for the product return, almost as I write this.

BTW, the 550D is 23,900 baht with the 18-55mm IS lens at IT City and Eastbourne, according to their Websites, including VAT which should be omitted airside at Swampy. The 600D is 29,900 baht, and the 60D is 33,900 baht - both including the same lens. In case you need a comparison price when passing through.

FYI

thebangkokshoppingguide.com/where_to_buy_a_c…

5. Re: Buying Camera at Bangkok Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 22, 2013