We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erawan Shrine

YML
Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Erawan Shrine

I've heard that the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok is a favourite place of worship for people of all faiths. Do you know of anyone who has gone there to pray & got their wish come true? How did they give thanks later?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Erawan Shrine

Hi YML,

Check out today's Sunday Times. They've got two full pages on celebs who've been there and have had got their wishes granted and those on the other end of the scale (most prob because they havn't been back to return their thanks).

In the same story, it was reported that the Erawan Shrine had just been recently destroyed by a mentally-disturbed Thai man who was subsequently beaten to death. So the shrine is now temporarily closed for repair and restoration.

YML
Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Erawan Shrine

Hi checkers, thanks. Just wondering if you would personally know of any friends or colleagues who have actually prayed there & got their wish come true.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Erawan Shrine

You know something YML, I was actually there in Feb but didn't really dare to pray for anything more than just a peaceful year ahead. The year before was as traumatic and dramatic as it had been - lost my grandparents and an uncle in a span of six months. So my sis and I thought we'd just drop by and pray for a "smooth" year ahead.

I'm not sure how true this is but we've also been told that it's really 'ling' - but remember you must return to the shrine to give thanks if your wish has been granted else you may be worse off than ever.

That's probably understandable as in most practices of worship. In fact when we were there, we saw quite a no. of people (even Taiwanese and Singaporeans) commissioning the dancers to dance in return for having their prayers answered. So I guess there must be some truth in its power after all.

At the end of the day, it's really your own decision I guess.

YML
Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Erawan Shrine

Hi, checkers. Thanks for letting me know.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Erawan Shrine

Yes checkers is right

It is said that whishes are granted at this shrine

Yes the shrine was recently destroyed by a mentally disturbed man

however, the shrine is still open and you can go there. The government is having a ne statue made in a combination of 9 metals

Should be ready soon

The flower sellers there have been there for generations

Singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Erawan Shrine

the shrine has been disturbed. not sure if it is still safe to stay at Hyatt then... heard the shrine was initially built protect the erawan hotel, as this hotel kept collapsing during its construction. It got really popular when the hotel was finally completed. hmmm...