We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unlocking mobile phones in BKK

bonnie scotland
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Unlocking mobile phones in BKK

I asked on another forum but no-one seemed to have the answers!

Can all makes of phones be unlocked and what does it cost?

Do I need a triband model to be able to phone back to the UK?

Is there anywhere in particular that I have to go?

Hua Hin, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Unlocking mobile phones in BKK

MBK Shopping Centre has more places that unlock phones than you can poke a stick at. Keep an eye out for the handwritten signs on counters in thai except for the word UNLOCK.

Ive never had it done but Im guessing that with everyone doing it the cost will be next to nothing.

Hua Hin, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unlocking mobile phones in BKK

Also...get a triband...theyre inexpensive and you can use them anywhere in the world.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unlocking mobile phones in BKK

Most mobiles can be unlocked in Bangkok MBK shopping Mall.

Most unlocks cost about 100 baht

No you do not need a triband to ring uk. Your Uk mobile will work in Thailand with a Thai SIM.

Just buy a SIM in MBK and you are away SIM comes with, normally, 50 Baht of credit and refil cards can be purchased almost everywhere. Run of the mill numbered SIM should cost you 200 Baht.

Anything else come on back here

Scotland
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Unlocking mobile phones in BKK

I have a bottom of the range Nokia which was previously unlocked and in MBK, I got a 1 2 Call sim card. Top ups are widely available and we found good coverage everywhere apart from some parts of Northern Thailand.

There is a code which you dial before dialling international numbers. I think it is 008 - check it out - but this gives you even cheaper international calls.

Obviously, it means you will have a different phone number, but you can just text your new number to anyone who might need it.