We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest advice please.

Ireland
11 posts
Save Topic
Honest advice please.

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this. Im a single Irish guy and unsure of where to stay in Bangkok as im hoping to see as much as I can relax too. I have two weeks and so im more than happy to hop on a plane and go to any of the islands but again which one or ones? You hear so many great stories but im now trying to book flights and ccomodation and seriously need help!! Any advice would be great and appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honest advice please.

Best advice I would give you would be to book your flights to and from Thailand and book a hotel for a couple of days then make your mind up after you get there.

Then just get back to Bangkok the day before your flight departs back to Ireland.

The rest of the time you can arrange days to islands after you see some things you want to do.

Plans always seem to go by the board as soon as you arrive.

Would suggest Nana hotel or Dynasty hotel.

Dynasty hotel also has a resort in Pattaya and free transport to/from there if you stay in both for at least a day.

Flights to other places are on a daily schedule and can be booked almost on an ad hok basis.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Nana Hotel
Nana Hotel
804 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honest advice please.

Hi

I would suggest a 2/3of days in Bangkok, plenty of time to visit the temples etc before flying down to an island. I can recommend Samui, you can then have it as quiet or as lively as you like plus you can then hop on a boat over to Koh Tao which is really lovely, fairly quite and laidback but fantastic diving and snorkelling (you won't need to book accommodation beforehand, you'll have no problems finding some when you get there). You can book flights to Samui (and Phuket) with Bangkokair up to 2 hours before you go so I am sure you will have no problems in booking one and they cost roughly £100 return. As for accommodation, I'd maybe book a hotel for Bangkok so that you know you have somewhere to head to after a long flight but I wouldn't bother for Samui as you will be spoilt for choice as soon as you step off the plane, there will be loads of touts and you can have it dead cheap or splash out. Sukhumvit in Bangkok is OK for location, try and pick a hotel near a skytrain so that getting about is easy for you. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Sukhumvit
Sukhumvit
1,850 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honest advice please.

Phuket is very worth considering. It is my home - I love it here.

For a look at Phuket try:

http://phuketdelight.com/

In Bangkok try staying along Sukhumvit Road for central access to the Sky Train and Subway - try to be near Asoke Station - where there is also a Subway station.

My favorite place - one Sky Train stop away is the Emporium Suites - great location, lots to do in the area - and easy access to the rest of the city:

r24.org/5starthailand.com/bangkok/emporium/

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Sukhumvit
Sukhumvit
1,850 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Emporium Suites by Chatrium
Emporium Suites by...
1,579 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honest advice please.

Best advice I would give you would be to book your flights to and from Thailand and book a hotel for a couple of days then make your mind up after you get there.

Then just get back to Bangkok the day before your flight departs back to Ireland.

The rest of the time you can arrange days to islands after you see some things you want to do.

Dynasty hotel also has a resort in Pattaya and free transport to/from there if you stay in both for at least a day.

Flights to other places are on a daily schedule and can be booked almost on an ad hok basis.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Nana Hotel
Nana Hotel
804 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honest advice please.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Nana Hotel
Nana Hotel
804 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya