We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange - AUS to THB

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange - AUS to THB

I have tried searching but cannot seem to find what I'm after.

Where are the best places to exchange currency in Bangkok?

Obviously we will exchange a small amount before we leave Aus, but figure that Thailand is similar to Indonesia in so far as you get a better exchange rate over there.

We are staying at the Courtyard by Marriott (just near the Four Seasons) - sorry I'm not sure what 'area' this is in, so any advise on where the best place / places to go would be greatly appreciated!

London
Level Contributor
984 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

LD2010

You "figure" right as the exchange rate is better in Thailand.

You actually do not need to exchange anything in your country of origin at all as there are several booths on arrival here.

I have used VASU in lower Sukhumvit Road (odd numbers side).

thailandexportdirect.com/vasumoneychanger/

A number of posters also suggest SUPER RICH

http://www.superrichthailand.com/home.html

The only other advice I would post is do not walk around with large sums of cash and opt for an hotel which has an electronic safe in your room (most do these days)

Happy spending

Giorgio Federico

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

When you're lost and can't find your way, try checking out the FAQ's on the right of this page. There you will find, for example, this;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

No need to exchange any money in Aust. before you leave. You can go to one of the exchanges in the baggage hall whilst waiting for your bags to come off the plane. Rates will be the same as the money exchanges outside the airport. Once at your hotel you will see that money exchanges are readily available in Bangkok with the current rates advertised.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

Vasu without a doubt and they don't charge a commission fee neither...Catch BTS skytrain to Nana,look for the Subway sandwich shop at the bottom of the steps and its on the opposite corner looking at you.Downunder bar is just 50 meters down the soi there on the left and worth dropping in for a beer...Hangover 2 bar scene was shot there also on that very soi!

flickr.com/photos/…

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,484 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

Definitely don't bother changing any of you AUD to THB in Australia before you leave as dinaus says, you can change a little in the BKK airport when you arrive to get you started and then after you book into your hotel and go for a walk around, you'll find heaps of places to change money so you can just have a bit of a look to see who has the best rate.

To find out the currency exchange rates you only have to google "currency exchange" and all sorts of sites will come up.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

Thanks everyone :-)

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

I am arriving in the early hours of the morning from Australia. Will the exchange booths be open in the airport then?

Last time we visited the time wasnt a problem.

My countdown has begun... 7 weeks to go

shazz

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

Superrich across the road from Central World Siam always seems to have the best exchange rate ,i never exchange money in Australian airports the rate is much lower and a fee as well???? better to exhange a $100 in Bangkok airport open 24/7 and exchange the bulk at superrich .Another tip is to open a bank account at Bangkok bank ,deposit then use a key card where ever you go better than carrying loads of cash

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

Bangkok airport is open 24/7 as is the exchange booths .Dont listen to the Australian airport exchange booths they will tell all kind of lies in order to rip you off ,they always have a much lower exchange rate as well as a fee

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency exchange - AUS to THB

Thanks Neverbook,

I visited Phuket and Bangkok in Mar and august 2012 and our arrival time wasnt a problem to exchange cash when we arrived.

I was concerned about exchanging in the early hours of the morning in Bangkok this trip, but now i know the exchange booths are open 24 hour at the airport, i will wait till i arrive to exchange some AUS$

7 weeks and counting...

shazz