We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the latest odds on the new BKK airport opening...

Somewhere warm
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What are the latest odds on the new BKK airport opening...

The oft postponed opening of this new Bangkok airport is supposed to be happening late summer. Does anyone have any intelligence or lay odds on the chances of the new airport opening this year?

With the new airport, any thoughts on any new hotels being constructed close to the new location? With the flights out to the US leaving at 6am, I don't fancy having to get up a 2am in order to make it to the airport but not sure if that is a choice at this point.

Any intelligence or opinions would be appreciated as it's hard to hear about this topic from afar.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the latest odds on the new BKK airport opening...

Rothgar, how are you?

well, the new airport scenario goes on,jokes and all, with nobody able to give you an "intelligent" date for the opening. But as you have included those of us who prefer to lay odds based on , well, not intelligence, but street talk..... I am betting that the airport will not be fully operaional before October!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the latest odds on the new BKK airport opening...

If you haven't already seen it, check out http://BangkokAirport.info. Site has an interesting article from 16 March that addresses your question. While I cannot answer your question regarding any new hotels, the airport website gives a full address which may be able to help you find a hotel that is close (er) . . .?

Napa, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the latest odds on the new BKK airport opening...

We will be in flying to BKK in July and were hoping to see the new airport also. Two months ago, I wrote to Thai airways airport info. section in BKK. They responded by saying that there have been many delays and they are hoping for an opening in July. They warned me to check back in May or June for updates.

My friend in BKK tells me that it's all political, as to the delays (surprise, surprise!). I think the previous guess as to October might even be optimistic.

I have read on the Survanambhumi page that they intent to build a hotel on site. But none has been named. And according to the latest map of BKK which includes the new airport, there are no hotels noted in the vicinity.

england
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the latest odds on the new BKK airport opening...

apperently it was completed in december but needs about 6 months worth of testing etc so is expected to be open in june?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the latest odds on the new BKK airport opening...

June now seems impossible. There are so many parts of the airport that are not functional or not functioning. The catering section which provides the in-flight meal services to airlines had a fire the other week (two people died) and a meal has'nt been prepared there yet! It's true of any new airport that absolutely everything has to be 100 per cent safe, and politicians here do like to be overly-optimistic regarding new projects.A previous poster said my prediction of October might even be optimistic and, I think now, he/she may well be right.@006 at all will be considered acceptable. And I have to say, thai airways have no more idea than the average layman, so there you go.We just do not know!