We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Bought 2 suits from "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Does anyone have experience with this place? I am concerned about the "A Grade" material that I have selected for my suit as well as the quality of the tailoring / finishing?

I was directed to this place by a 'teacher' the the Erawan shrine - obviously part of the scam perhaps?

Are my suits going to last a few dry cleans and is the quality of the material indeed "A grade"? Roger, the salesman, kept burning the material and saying that the hair smell meant it was of great quality.

The suit also looked very odd on the shoulder pad / arm join - I was told to face forward and not to worry about how the suit looks from the side.

Paid 15000 baht for 2 suits - have I been scammed?

Any comments welcome......

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

I don't know the shop but I know where it is as I often drive past it.

Burn test - Polyester or mix forms a little hard lump when you burn it. Plus it has an acrid smell. Wool is a natural fiber (hair). Smells a bit like burnt hair.

The smell and burnt bits are diifferent between 'plastic' and wool. From cotton ash drops off.

The tailor tried to gain your confidence by doing this test. No doubt he hoped you wouldn't know what the result means. We did this test once with so-called cotton material in a tailor shop on Sukhumvit. Of course it was a mix and not pure cotton.

15000 Bht for 2 suits may be too much for what the shop supplied with regard to fit, material. Esp. if the suits are not wearable.

Even with low quality material one can produce a suit which fits. Then 250US$ for a suit would not be excessive. A decent wool suit would be in the range of approx. 1000US$ and higher. ll depends on material and workmanship.

This price range is my personal opinion and based on what I would consider good average wool material quality.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Having returned from holiday I have taken the suits to be dry cleaned and the cleaners assure me the suit fabric is 100% synthetic.

Don't believe oriental galleria aka abprofessional and avoid at all cost!

Do your research before you purchase a suit, wish I had! Don't rely on this tailor to be honest.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Thanks for the info, definitely a place to avoid.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

I have purchased three suits and 10 shirts from The Oriental Galleria for 75,000 Thai Bahts in August 2011. I have purchased suits and shirts from a couple of stores in Bangkok during my previous visits but I must say that I am really impressed with what I have received. The suits fits very well and so did the shirts. They are not cheap but reasonably priced for the quality I had received. I would recommend them to my colleagues for good suits and shirts in Bangkok!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Intriguing. Ben that you should appear out of nowhere to sing the praises of this company, Buyer beware>

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Having a recommendation by a 'teacher' already tells you a lot.

Google tailoring scams and you would find the usual ways these guys operate.

eg -

Deliver the items to you late (a few hours before you leave for the airport) leavng you no time for alterations or complains. If you refuse to accept you lose your deposit

Deliver the items to you earlier (at your insistence) but doesn't fit well so goes for alterations, but then deliver the altered items a few hours before you depart, again leaving you no room for further alterations or complains

Cheating you on the materials or not giving you same material as you were sold initially.

In any case B15000 for 2 suits is not a lot of money. My 3 piece suit costs double of that, tailored in Malaysia (Cerruti 1881 designer fabric).

If you feel you look good (or a friends real honest opinion that it looks ok) and it lasts a decent amount of time, then should be alright.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

16canuck I agree 'beware' of this place! Just google Brioni / abprofessional, convinced it's the same place!!! Why change your name/brand if you so well known?

All they offer is a very uneasy hard sell after luring you with tuk tuks / 'helpful teachers' and then lie about the quality of material on offer.

While I may not have paid much for the suits I was assured the material was top quality (apparently all there material is top quality on their top floor).

To be perfectly honest I have some doubt as to I the material that was used for my suit was the one I selected (after 3weeks in the sun I could not remember exactly). I suggest asking for a sample of the material you select so you can compare to the real deal.

Also don't pay in full as I was forced to do - stupid in hindsight!

L W
Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Avoid this place. The fabrics used and the craftmanship are absolutely terrible. It just LOOKS terrible. In fact, the shirts I got came with an invoice that said everything was over half polyester. Don't go near this place. You can get better quality things at a freaking Banana Republic.

L W
Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

Avoid this place. The fabrics used and the craftmanship are absolutely terrible. It just LOOKS terrible. In fact, the shirts I got came with an invoice that said everything was over half polyester. Don't go near this place. You can get better quality things at a freaking Banana Republic.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "The Oriental Galleria" @ 1115-1119 Rama 4 Rd

I just got scammed too. Met a guy near our hotel who was very friendly who told us he worked at the hotel nearby and was waiting for his son and wife and was lead there and bamboozled into buying two suits and 6 shirts. AVOID THIS PLACE