We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Culver City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

We're arriving in Bangkok on the 6th of November, and scheduled to take the train to Chiang Mai on the 9th. Does anyone know if the trains are running? We paid for an overnight train online over a month ago. I realize it's day to day with the flood situation...If anyone can give some information or advise, it would be super appreciated!

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

I don't know if those tickets are refundable but as this is a slow moving natural disaster (not unlike the flooding that happened in Iowa and the Dakotas earler this spring) I would consider looking into budget flights up to Chiang Mai.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Through trains to the north (Chiang Mai) are halted. Refunds are normally given (I only have experience at the train station). Regarding the flood situation, through trains (and some roads) to the north may be day-to-day in detail, but one might expect through trains to be halted at least to 6 November.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Unlikely they'll be running by 9 November. Big stretches of the track are still flooded.

Leeds
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

we're also scheduled on the chiang mai train that day. we've been informed that we can claim a refund from the station as long as it's at least 4 hours before scheduled departure. i'm not sure if there's a way of getting the refun without going into the city.

we were looking at taking either a coach from mo chit station or flying; air asia do a flight for 2000 baht ish.

i keep getting told that the waters are moving south and so lines may open, but i'm guessing there might be repairs to do even after it recedes so not holding out much hope :(

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Buses are running but taking a great deal longer than normal. Get a flight if you can.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

I have someone in Thailand taking my tickets back and getting a refund. You get 80% refund on tickets. I was told I had to return them 3 days before the scheduled date of travel. I haved booked a flight with Bangkok Airways, again for 2000THB ish,

Safe travels

Monkey6870

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

www.thairailticket.com

It looks like the site is down at the moment but sure it gave instructions how to get refunds for the northern line.

Culver City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Thank you everyone for your replies, and good thoughts to all the people in Bangkok. We're still going as planned, Bangkok was the first stop in our month long trip to Thailand/Vietnam. Be safe everyone, thanks again.

9. Re: Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 29, 2012