We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Political unrest!!!

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Political unrest!!!

I am reading in the news that Thailand is having political problems.Does anyone have a feel for how safe it will be in Bangkok over the next two-four weeks? As I am planning to go there with my wife and two kids.

Thanks to any of the local experts that can enlighten me on this,

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Political unrest!!!

I would,nt be concerned about this. It is very unlikely that Bangkok will see tanks on the streets again. The last time it happened I was in a bar only a couple of miles away and had'nt even realised what had happened until I saw the news the next morning. Any problems that could possibly occur will not happen in any of the tourist spots.Everyone here, after all, has a stake in keeping the vibrant tourism industry alive and kicking.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Political unrest!!!

Totally agree with bangkokgas

It is all a hype by the opposition party.......nothing is going to happen

Taksin will still win the elections hans down as there is no one as good or better than him to take over the running of the country

The rally is only at sanam luang which is near the royal palace

If you are worried then just avoid that area

The rest of bangkok desn't even feel that there is a rally

Life is going on as per normal and now that the election date has been set the rally is really a waste of time

Don't believe everything you see and read

bangkok is very safe

Come and enjoy yourself

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Political unrest!!!

Personally, I would avoid any type of protest rally pretty much anywhere in the world.

Other than that - I think the press has pretty much blown the whole thing out of proportion.

Isn't this how democracy is supposed to work? People get tired of the leader or s/he makes mistakes - and are forced to call an election. No big deal.

USA
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Political unrest!!!

We read this, regularly, (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/) prior to our trip to TL.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Political unrest!!!

We were in bangkok during a coup many years ago and had no problems,We were always advised which areas to avoid.

We have also been to fiji within days of 2 of their coups and again felt safe and not threatened.

california
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Political unrest!!!

I just returned from Bangkok today and did not see any evidence of political unrest (other than on T.V.) I arrived in Bangkok the day after the demonstration and everything was fine. You shouldn't worry about it.

Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Political unrest!!!

prob no one will be as 'bad luck' as me cos i had booked for a trip from 30 mar - 2 apr and all arrangement was confirmed just 1 day after i got the air tickets.. sigh sigh...

london
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Political unrest!!!

drron......

memo to self.....never go anywhere the same time as you.......hahaha!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Political unrest!!!

Sorry, Ted. Disagree. Thailands democracy cannot be compared to our own.Would be folly to think otherwise. The Japanese are murmuring about pulling out their investments (way larger that America o The U.K, in Thailand).I know this as I work with Japanese govt. What will be, will be, but I think whatever happens on Sunday (the big anti-Thaksin demo) or in the future, will not be as bad as we have witnessed in the past here.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Political unrest!!!

Well bunk555 I am off to bangkok tomorrow.Just watch the sparks fly!

Then on to hong kong,dubai,paris and new york.You have been warned.