We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai visa

Cheshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Thai visa

I am going to Thailand next January. Am aware a free 30 day visa is given on arrival. I am leaving 31 days later. Should I bother buying a visa for longer before I go, or just hope I shall be ok?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai visa

Just hoping you'll be OK might end you up in trouble. Apply in advance for a tourist visa which allows you 60 days. Then you can be sure you'll have no problems.

The 30 days given on arrival is not a visa, but a visa waiver stamp.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai visa

Depending on who is on the immigration desk at time of departure may have a bearing,but if worst comes to worst a 500 baht fine for every day an individual overstays is enforced...up to a maximum of 10,000baht.Overstayers are more common than you'd think in Thailand,with some horror stories of some people being locked up in Thai prison cells for months due to their inability to pay overstay fines and return airfares...Not a nice situation to find yourself in to be honest!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai visa

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai visa

If you're going to get a tourist visa this may be of interest:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k4…

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai visa

Another option if you're concerned about overstaying is to get a 7 day extension from immigration when you're in Thailand. Never done it myself but I believe it's 1900thb?? cheaper than a tourist visa

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai visa

you could take a side trip to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for a day come back get a fresh stamp.

CEBU
Level Contributor
58 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai visa

Apply in advance to save you some trouble. you need all the peace of mind when you're on vacation.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai visa

Forget being ok. You will have to pay the 500 Baht fine and better have plenty of time at the immigration before departure. Because the paper work will take some time, but normally you should be ok.

Although whether you want to take that risk or spend an extra 1400 Baht, to get your Visa extended locally, is entirely up to you. ;)

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thai visa

One thing no one has mentioned is that your inbound airline will check that you are either eligible for visa exemption, visa on arrival, or have a visa. They are strict because they are heavily penalized if the transport passengers who are ineligible for entry.

In your case, visa exemption is valid for British passport holders - check, for stays of up to 30 days - no check, with proof of onward air travel within 30 days- no check, and proof of adequate funds - check because they seldom if ever ask.

You will very likely be denied boarding as you do not meet the criteria for visa exemption.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thai visa

Don't worry at all. Noone from the airline will check and deny transportation.

If you have spent 25 days on a visa waiver and you feel unsafe about the proceedure on the airport for your return, go to any immigration and get a 7 day extention immediately.

Tourist visa should be still free of cost, aren't they? So why not get a tourist visa for the cost of 2 stamps.

However in any case, chances that you pay a 500 Baht overstay fine for 1 day overstay are minimal. I would take that risk any time.