We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline options business v. premium

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Airline options business v. premium

Looks like I can get a Lufthansa/Swiss combo business class dublin to bangkok for about 150 more than premium economy AirFrance. I've checked out many of the airline and seat ratings sites & am more confused than ever. Anyone flown these combos? thoughts? is it worth it?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline options business v. premium

Probably better to ask on Air Travel Forum at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline options business v. premium

Swiss is owned by Lufthansa. Both airlines are not very service orientated.

They are European airlines. Expect nothing special from them.

IMO there is nothing more irritating than German Lufthansa cabin crew.

Swiss? I flew with them once since they were taken over. Nothing like the former Swissair used to be. Before I go on Lufthansa business class I would prefer Air France business (never go economy with them!)

Did you check out Etihad?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
339 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline options business v. premium

Lufthansa is good , not bad.But agreeing with Jemima i would take Etihad Airways

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline options business v. premium

many thanks for the advice. have done so.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline options business v. premium

have you guys flown Etihad?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline options business v. premium

Etihad is a decent 4* Airline with a modern fleet of aircraft, comfortable seating, decent legroom and good IFE. Food was very good when we flew Manchester to Bangkok. You need to be careful about connection times in Abu Dhabi where you change aircraft as it is not a very big airport with not much seating. We had 5 hours on the way home and it was awful.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
644 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline options business v. premium

Several of the Gulf area airlines have great reputations, including 5* Qatar Airways, 4* Emirates, 4* Etihad. I have been relatively content with Lufthansa and Swiss as reasonable 4* airlines. I think if you choose a Skytrax 5* airline you should be pleased, a 4* airline should mostly satisfy you, and a 3* airline is likely to get you there but not in great style. 5* airlines are Singapore, Cathay Pacific, Malaysia, Asiana, Qatar, Kingfisher and Hainan Airlines (note - all Asian).

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline options business v. premium

I fly Etihad frequently. They have flat bed in business class. The beds are not the width you get on e.g. SIA. It does not bother me as I don't need a lot of width. Like on all airlines, how good the service is depends on the cabin crew. I had very good experience but I also was on flights were I was not so pleased. To be honest, their worst cabin staff are usually German and ex Lufthansa.

For the price, Etihad offers very good service, good quality drinks and food if this is what is important. Abu Dhabi is not as busy and confusing as I find Dubai airport nowadays. Food in Abu Dhabi lounge is more to my liking plus I never have to 'fight' over a seat like it is sometimes in Dubai. .

Etihad offers limousine pick up in Bangkok to your hotel, and they also pick you up from hour home on departure. 40 km are free, over this limit it will be your share.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline options business v. premium

I personally think premium economy does the job of business, at a cheaper price. You still get big seats, good comfort, a good sleep and of course a nice big tv screen for enjoyment. Why spend alot more extra on the business for just a "slightly" bigger space?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline options business v. premium

You're going to get conflicting views here as every airline has good or bad days. I have flown recently both Swiss and Lufthansa and been very pleased with their service. I would book based on Price/Schedule