We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,834 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

It's probably the worst thing that tourists will encounter wrt Sunday's election.

After all the posts concerned about the election this weekend - "Is it safe?" (hello Singapore), it's time to remind tourists of what could most likely to ruin your holiday/vacation/stay ... the ban on alcohol sales everywhere from late afternoon Saturday through midnight Sunday/Monday. And yes, this means no drinks in hotel bars for around 30 hours.

So, if you're already there, go to the stores and stock up. If you're flying in on Saturday, consider duty free.

I landed in Bangkok last December on a Saturday evening, during a local/municipal election. Same rules applied, and the hotel made a killing on my minibar.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

Out of intrest how does Nana PLaza, Soi Cowboy, Patong cope then ?

Do they remain open and serve soft drinks only ?

Best wishes

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

If the tourists can't find anything better to do, or if not being able to drink for a day is going to ruin their holiday then there's something seriously wrong in my opinion

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

Cowboy' was dead last Saturday night with the place in partial darkness!

Down soi 8 you may have some luck...but it may be paper cups!

London, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

Nana had a couple of places last weekend.

Shelley

http://shelleytravel.wordpress.com/

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

Juice/Soda at most places like NEP, Cowboy and Patong or its treated as a holiday.

However that being said there are always places that ignore the ban - just need to know where to look. ;)

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

As I thought then, open and same old same old for a price anything available, although not arriving until nex Tue so

no problems for me LOL.

A whilst not having a drink would not ruin my holiday a cold Chang does make it MUCH better

Best wishes

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

"If the tourists can't find anything better to do, or if not being able to drink for a day is going to ruin their holiday then there's something seriously wrong in my opinion"

I totally agree. Holidays are about more than just drinking alcohol.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
958 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

The biggest disaster on a visit to BKK for me would be a ban on taking photos, then massages, then handbag shopping................. though am seriously looking forward to a Lychee Martini at Vertigo in a couple of weeks time ;)

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

I agree to a certain extent bbtony, but quite depressing going to a bar and having a juice or coke. :P

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Election - Alcohol Ban this weekend.

I quit drinking many, many years ago. One of the key factors in my decision was the fact that I couldn't fathom "social activities", sans drinking. I do understand that drinking is such an ingrained part of today's social structure. But, to fret over a day's abstinence ...?

I am far less depressed when I go to bars, now, then back in the day! But I do agree that going to many bars, without drinking, isn't fun. In fact, alcohol is what makes sitting in many bars tolerable. If one had to spend any time there sober, they wouldn't spend much time at all.

Edited: 9:12 am, June 29, 2011