We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

witch is the best travel guide u have ever used??

athens,greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
witch is the best travel guide u have ever used??

Hi there!!

I am going to visit Bangkok and some islands (phi phi, samui, koh lanta, koh phangan) and I am trying to find the most helpful travel guide between Lonely planet ,Rough guides, Footprint etc

If has anyone used any of the above, please advice on witch is the best…

Thanks, nick

Singapore
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: witch is the best travel guide u have ever used??

This question is rather subjective...

But for me, Lonely Planet is the best for general travellers.

Rough Guide for backpackers, and Footprint somewhere in between.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: witch is the best travel guide u have ever used??

Agree with other poster. People tell me that Rough guide is more accurate and that they,(these are bungalow owners/staff on samui/Koh Phangan/ko chang) have actually seen/met Rough guide people but never L.Planet. don't think Joe Cummins has been around for a long time! (main writer for L.P. Thailand). Maybe they just don't announce themselves.

boston
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: witch is the best travel guide u have ever used??

I haven't used any of the above, but I have found Frommer's really helpful. I think its targeted toward the mainstream tourist. Its not very flashy but has good info. Eyewitness guides , on the other hand, I've found to be very pretty but lacking in substance.

athens,greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: witch is the best travel guide u have ever used??

Thanks for the replies.

I just bought the rough guide to Thailand’s beaches & islands. I liked it more when I compared it to LP, maybe because it is more colourful.. in 2 weeks I will find out exactly how practical it will be and I’ll get back to u!!!

USA
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: witch is the best travel guide u have ever used??

"Time Out" has a great guide to Bangkok for the medium-level (200US to 400USD per day) traveler.