We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shangri la hotel

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
shangri la hotel

we have booked into the shangri la for three nights of our honeymoon in july 05. what is it like? i hear the surrounding area is not that nice, is this true? any comments on the hotel much appreciated. also what would one reccommend do in bangkok for 3 days?

North London
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shangri la hotel

Hi, the Shangri-La isn't in the best of locations for Bangkok, but you won't spend your time walking around anyway. The area immediately outside the hotel isn't too clever, so I would suggest taxing a taxi meter to wherever you want to go. The Shangi-La does have a riverside location though, and so you can also take the riverboat. 3 days isn't very long in Bangkok, so I would suggest shopping at one of the many amazing shopping malls, such as MBK, the usual Grand Palace and Floating Market trips and you would probably want to visit the Patpong Night Market. For something different try the Seafood Market (restaurant) which is great if you like seafood. There are hundreds of restuarants and night clubs to check out, but if you are stuck for choosing, most of the better hotels do a dinner buffet second to none. Any of the Bangkok night river cruise buffets are also romantic. Hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

San Francisco, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: shangri la hotel

The river location is definitely a plus, including proximity to the SkyTrain...but there are better hotels including the Peninsula (right across the way) and my favorite - The Sukhothai (which is not by the river). The Shangri La is a lot of marble, brass and tile whereas the others are a more refined mix of Thai and classic design.

Favorites: the Jim Thompson House (great Thai architecture/design), Thai Cooking Class, Wat Pho, Shopping - the weekend market (chatachuk easily reached by the sky train) is a must, Klong (canal) tours are great.

Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shangri la hotel

My understanding is hotels on the river are considered to be the Premiere location. I really liked the the river location, you must get a room with a river view.

The hotel is next door to the Mandarin Oriental and I thought the area was fine, I stayed at the Peninsula across the river from the Shangri La, and did a lot of retail shopping at the tailors behind the Shangri La.

Also remember in that vicinty you have three top hotels being the Peninsula , Mandarin and the Shangri la so if was dodgy people wouldnt stay.

Banyan Tree in the city is also nice.

Dependant on your budget you might be able to knock out a good rate with the Mandarin Oriental or the Peninsula for a similar rate that you already have. If so, out of choice I would stay at one of the others.

However the Shangri La is a very nice hotel, and rates as one of the better hotels in Bangkok

The standards of the top hotels in Bangkok are extremely high, much better than you would imagine and very affordable.