We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Train

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,986 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Train

I am planning to stay in the Sukumvit area (Westin, JW Marriott..etc).

Now with the airport train, is that a better way to get to the hotel?

From what I gather on TA, its not exactly a better option (same cost, not much faster), is that correct?

Or should I take the train, find out, and do a report here on TA?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Train

The airport express takes 15 minutes from the airport to Makkasan, from where you can take a taxi to finish your trip. If there is more than one of you, a taxi from the airport is more cost effective - check the full details shown in the Top Questions on the right "Airport Transport" and search the forum, its been discussed many times.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,986 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Train

I did read the Airport Rail Link post.

So from Makkasan I take a cab to Sukumvit? or BTS to Asoke? How long is that part of the journey say at 9pm?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Train

Journey time is more or less the same during operating hours, 15 minutes on the train and then maybe another 15-20 minutes in a taxi.. There is no BTS at Makkasan and the nearest MRT station (which would get you to Sukhumvit MRT station, next to Askoe BTS) is about 200 meters away, not much fun if you have to carry/drag your bags along. Jump into a taxi is easier at Makkasan.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Train

Please do the report,we need a non-partisan report.Is it really hassle free???Thank You

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Train

No,catch the citylink train to the last stop at Phaya Thai(30 minutes),walk down the steps through the barrier,take the steps on the right hand side down one flight again and walk across to the BTS station there.Marriot is only 4 stops from there(Phloen Chit ) and Westin another 2 stops on(Asoke)...No need to change..it's directly on the Sukhumvit line to On Nut .Cost on airport citylink ..15 baht one way..BTS 25-40 Baht single .If travelling lightish and by yourself a good option,if 2 of you and the kitchen sink get off Makkason (citylink train)and jump a taxi!Fares citylink 'jump' to 45 baht January 1st..Express goes up to 150 baht just after !

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,872 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Train

<<From what I gather on TA, its not exactly a better option (same cost, not much faster>> Not true. It's faster and cheaper, but of course a taxi is always more convenient if you have a lot of luggage.

The transfer from the City Line to the BTS at Phaya Thai is easy, as described by bbtony.

The transfer to the MRT at Makkasan is not nearly so difficult as some are making out - it takes about 5 minutes and involves crossing one street. The biggest inconvenience is having to open your bags for the MRT pseudo-security.

There are also taxis available at Makkasan in Level 2.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,986 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Train

Thanks for the advice. If my flight is uneventful I might try this and give a report.

Paris,France
Level Contributor
186 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Train

Hi,

Taxi is not a bad option in Bangkok. From airport to Bangkok, you should pay only about 400 baths.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Train

Airport city link is not so hassle free esp. when you have to drag your bag from Ploenchit BTS (closest to J.W.Marriott) to the hotel. Worst will be to carry the baag down lots of stairs then drag it over a bumpy and partly narrow sidewalk. Weekday mornings, lunch time, evenings this area is very crowded.

Westin is closer to BTS Asoke. Not so far to the hotel but you always have to carry downstairs.

During commuter hours train from Phayathai BTS station will be VERY busy. Not a great idea to travel with big luggage. Inconsiderate really as this is a commuter train not aimed at travellers.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,872 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Train

I agree. The ARL is not ever going to be all things for all people in all situations. But it's a viable new alternative, especially if you're travelling light and don't mind a bit of walking or stair-descending. I used it a few weeks ago to Makkasan and then took the MRT to my apartment on Ratchada and it was a piece of cake.

The system will improve on January 4th when check-in starts at Makkasan for the airport express for Thai, Lufthansa and Bangkok Airways. Other airlines will undoubtedly follow.

And whenever they get around to building the walkway from Makkasan to Petchaburi MRT station, that will be a further improvement.