We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Bangkok trip - Hotel recommendation

Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
First Bangkok trip - Hotel recommendation

Well we're planning our very first trip to Bangkok from Australia.

We want to do all the touristy things and do lots of shopping, but we'll only be there 4-5 days.

I'm sure this has been asked a bazillion times.... We would like to stay in a fairly nice place. Somewhere with all the facilities and somewhere secure.

Does anyone have advice as to the best location within Bangkok and also a hotel (I'm thinking AU$40-$50 (1,200-1,500 baht) per night would be sufficient???).

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Bangkok trip - Hotel recommendation

Kirikinz,

Best is to stay close to public transport like the BTS skytrain and MRT subway. Areas like Sukhumvit Road, Silom and Siam are all very convenient, a lot of restaurants, shopping and close to public transport.

On Sukhumvit road I would say the Manhattan Hotel. Siam Square Area the Asia Hotel and Silom Area the Narai for example. Just check out some websites and look for hotels in your price range located on Sukhumvit Road, Silom Road or near Siam Square and you will be fine.

have fun,

Steve

Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Bangkok trip - Hotel recommendation

Thanks so much for your response Steve!

We're due to stay with friends and they have just advised me that they insist on staying near Khao San Road. They have been before and think this is the best place for what they want.

They want to stay at a hotel with a pool on the top, and have suggested the Rambuttri Villiage Inn (just off Khao San Road). It's 700 Baht per night for a double room with all the amenities.

It sounds super cheap, and I'm worried that you get what you pay for....?

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Bangkok trip - Hotel recommendation

No Skytrain stop in the KSR area. You will have to rely on taxis (only pay meter price) or bus service for connections.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Bangkok trip - Hotel recommendation

Khao San area you have the boat to get around.But its not the place to stay in BKK

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Bangkok trip - Hotel recommendation

We are from Australia and stayed at the Pathumwan Princess when we were in Bangkok. I am not completely sure how much it cost but it was great and was joined to the MBK Centre, which is a huge shopping centre with lots of bartering discounts. The hotel staff are really nice and they will organise all tours and transport to anywhere you would like to go. We found it really central. Hope this helps!