We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Any comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Hi, foyleroad,

Of the two properties you mentioned, have only stayed at the Pathumwan whilst on business in Bangkok ... and it is a very special little place... ;) ...

... don't know your lifestyle, but the PP is one of the few, "decent," BKK hotels to offer, in-house, 24-hour, oil-based, massage treatments ... :) ...

... my "love letter" of a review of the PP was posted on 28 June 2005 ... wonderful, gracious, staff; in-room massages; great value; in-room massages; superb shopping; in-room massages; good restaurants; in-room massages ... ;-) ...

Best wishes,

macintosh (Robert)

... in-room massages ...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Thanks macintosh!

To be honest - we have no idea what we want!

We would have spent 7/8 indulgent days in Phuket by then - with pleny of massages (as it will be our honeymoon. Would probably have run out of money by then!!

I guess in Bangkok we wanted a quality hotel - but not excessive - where we could base oursleves to explore and take in as much of bangkok as possible in 3 days!

Would probably have done most of our shopping by then (but always keen to look again) - but i want to see the many sights of bangkok !!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Based on reviews from many travel agents I associate with Pathumwan Princess is what I chose. I found a fantastic rate on sawadee.com and can let you know in 3 weeks as to whether I come home smiling. The hotel is fantastically situated and within easy walking distance of the SkyTrain and places to shop and eat. In addition renovations have just been completed. The Novotels I have been told are run-down badly and staff have little sense of customer service. Good luck.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Stayed at the Novotel in June (Carlas travel agent friends are misinformed as this year it finished a total renovation)we found it to be very good as was the service and location is very good (still prefer the Silom area though. Cant comment on the Pathumwan as I havent stayed there personally so am not in a position to comment.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Have also stayed at the novotel.The staff were friendly and efficient.It was very comfortable but certainly not special.Not too long a walk to skytrain.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Novotel is nice and have a range of rooms and an outside swimming pool. But not that special for a honeymoon!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Thanks for the replies!

It is all so confusing!!

I guess we should try and find a location we like first - then choose a hotel.

With respect to the hotel - we would have spent 7/8 days in luxury in Phuket - so not too concerdned if the Bangkok hotel is a little less "luxurious "

However - we would still like it to be nice.

In terms of food/dining - whether it be at restaurants or from street vendors - which part of bangkok would be suitable?

GFS
Living in...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Just to confuse you more... we were really trying to get a room at the PP - but just could not get one at all - so have opted for the Novotel at Siam Square instead. Felt slightly disheartened at not getting the PP as the thought of being able to walk straight in to MBK and then go back and dump bags and lie by the huge pool was most appealing! However - the good thing about being round the corner at Siam Square is that its the interchange for the BTS which means that getting anywhere on the BTS will be quick and easy, in the end thats almost like our compnesation for not getting the PP.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

The Novotel is a short walk from MBK. I walked it several times carrying lots of bags and if I didn't find it too far I am sure most people would not either!! The Novotel is nice, we only booked a basic room when we were there and that was fine. Not as beautiful as many other places we stayed in Thailand but it was also much cheaper than anywhere else we stayed. So I'm sure if you book a slightly better one it will be good

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square or Pathumwan Princess?

Have stayed in both but would make PP the first choice for its location and convenience of having the shopping centre linked to it - not only for shopping bu great for the sudden desire to have good coffee or ice cream or KFC! Breakfast is much much better and rooms are a better class than Novotel.

Also, the walk to the BTR station from Novotel involves negotiating the crowded traffic (both human and car) lanes that comprises Siam Square around the hotel. Good for shopping maybe but extremely inconvenient when laden with shopping or for kids/old people.