We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pound rate to Thai Baht

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
204 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Pound rate to Thai Baht

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help.

I am travelling to Thailand for my honeymoon in July and I have just started to check out currency etc.

I noticed the current currency situation is 0.48 T. baht to £1.00 pound. Is this good exchange rate or being normal is this awful???

I know Bangkok has had a bad few months with the protesting and I was wondering if that might help travellers with the exchange rate? But I guess our new elections and new government might have dented the pound recently.

Does anyone know what the T. baht was like a few months ago and what it is normally like against the pound when situations are normal so I can judge whether or not to buy currency now or in July.

Many Thanks

Jack

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

the pound was overvalued for too long - for the last year it has been hovering between 45-52 baht. gone are the good old days of 70-75 i'm afraid!

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

If you can get 48฿ to the £ somewhere then you should probably grab it.

In Thailand today (where you'll always get the best rate on any given day) it averages at 46฿.

…daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Don't think for a moment that Thailand's recent problems will help the exchange rate with the £.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,884 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

Sadly the previous posters are right except I would disagree that the £ has been overvalued for too long. Its value certainly in the past 5 years has been determined by the same economic factors and pressures on all currencies world wide but I don't want to get into protectionism against non-protectionism. ;)

It was about 70 to the £ in 2006, 65 in 2007, 60 in 2008, 54 when we arrived in Thailand last December, 50 when we left in April and is now, as stated, about 46/47 in Thailand, less if you buy in the UK.

Given that the bulk of your honeymoon cost should have been paid for (or at least charged to a credit card) beforehand at the rate prevailing at time of booking flights and accommodation, unless the £ drops like a stone before July, any further drops should only have a marginal effect on your local spending. Thankfully we found that, at least in Khao Lak, faced with a reduction in visitor numbers, the Thais seem to have forgotten their hitherto natural inclination to put prices up and they were comparable and in some cases lower than previous years, especially with tours where prices were extremely competitive and showed reductions sometimes in the order of 30-40%.

Given that the € has dropped too and the Aussie $ lately, it is hoped that this will be recognised by in-country prices generally remaining stable at worst, and lower at best!

Have a great honeymoon. There are far worse places on earth than LOS for one, even with its recent and ongoing troubles.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

The GBP went down on Euro's coat-tail and the Euro is recovering slowly already against the THB. The US$ is under pressure. So after all, I would wait, usually the exchange rate is better here in Thailand than anywhere else outside Southeast Asia.

plymouth, devon, uk
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

I've been monitoring the exchange rate in the UK over the past few months. The best I've found it at is 48, at it's worst it got as low as 43 (during political problems). I was under the impression from the Internet that it was always best to buy baht in Thailand as the rates are better, it seems from what others have said that this may not be so though. Nethertheless, we're going to withdraw money from ATMs in Thailand as we need it, for our visit in July - mainly due to ease, no charges and I think the rates are good this way? If you google martin lewis travel money you can enter the amount of £ you want to change and it will tell you where the beat UK exchange rates are :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,884 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

So what makes you think you get better rates in UK?

Using your suggestiom for the MoneySavingExpert.com calculator at …moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/#results the best rate (for £1000) is at 5pm 24/05/10 45.25 baht to £1 whereas average from Thai bank ATMs is 46.5 to £1. Just about the same allowing for 150 baht per withdrawal charge.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,210 posts
1,636 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

The pound has declined a lot in the last few weeks and hence the exchange rate is not in your favour.

Who knows what will happen by July.

You can hedge your bets and buy some Bahts now in the UK or wait. Generally you get better rates in Thailand but you will not know if the £ will decline further. Of course if the £ improves you will get more Bahts.

For what its worth, I am hoping to go to the Far East in July and will purchase my currency upon arrival.

plymouth, devon, uk
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

"So what makes you think you get better rates in UK?

Using your suggestiom for the MoneySavingExpert.com calculator at …moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/#results the best rate (for £1000) is at 5pm 24/05/10 45.25 baht to £1 whereas average from Thai bank ATMs is 46.5 to £1. Just about the same allowing for 150 baht per withdrawal charge."

I don't think there are better rates in the UK?! I have always been under the impression rates were better in Thailand hence why I am waiting. But Fourb2 said that the rates in Thailand are 46 compared to Jack's finding of 48 - which is why I said that my initial thought of rates being better in Thailand may be incorrect. I only suggested the Martin Lewis website in case Jack definitely wanted to exchange in the UK first, as this website will show him where to get the best rate in the UK.

Edited: 1:26 pm, May 24, 2010
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

Whoa steady boys.

Generally, from personal experience you get far better rates in Thailand than you do in the UK. You get a so-so exchange rate at the airports in Thailand.

The GBP was not over priced over the last few years, but because of the last 18months we have had the biggest fall down. What with a bigger than predicted recession in the UK, the confidence in the outgoing UK Labour government, the wait whilst the new government comes up with a package for recovery, the stronger US recovery packages with more confidence in that, the Euro situation and finally the leaking hole that is also known as Greece (you can thsnk Frau Merkal for a lot of that latest drop) the great British pound is as weak as dish water at the moment - having lost 10baht in the last 6months!

So who knows what it will be in July, 35 or 55?

See what the bromance of Dave and Nick can conjure up!

That’s not from website, that’s good old fashioned woman’s intuition!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,884 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pound rate to Thai Baht

krissyboy (and Mitch),

Sorry if I seemed aggressive. It was unintentional I assure you. I was genuinely interested to find anyone who found better rates in UK than in Thailand. I didn't realise you were referiing to previous posts on this thread. So my question now is to Jackster "When and where did you find current rates at 48 baht to the £?"