We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi's / Tuk Tuk's

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi's / Tuk Tuk's

My last visit to Bangkok was approx 7-8 years ago, from memory the yellow taxis were meter based i.e. no bartering on fare?

We used to get Tuk Tuk's a lot and used to pay 100-150 baht pretty much anywhere we went within the city? is this still the case? is it best to haggle on price before the journey or at the destination?

Also do the Tuk Tuk drivers still try and force you to jewellery shops and unwanted stops enroute?

Thanks

South Africa
Level Contributor
395 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi's / Tuk Tuk's

hi Ads1999

To be perfectly honest with you - it is best to use a metered taxi and insist he uses the meter!! Any bartering that you do will still make him come out on top!!

With regards to Tuk Tuks - on my first trip -I only used Tuk Tuks - THINKING it was a better deal than the taxis! On my second (and every subsequent!) trip I have only used the metered taxis. They are actually CHEAPER than the Tuk Tuks (With bad traffic - I have sat in the taxi for over an hour and never paid more than 80 baht) and you have the respite from the heat by having the aircon!!

If you do take the Tuk Tuk - yes - they will try to take you to the Jewellery shops etc - but tell them you will give them 10 baht more for a direct route - BUT - my advice - still use the taxis!!

I am off for my 9th visit in 3 1/2 weeks time - and plan to try using the Sky Train too. Only problem is that there is no stop close to my hotel - but I want to experience it anyway!!! Cheap and QUICK!!!!!

Enjoy your trip - I know I will!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi's / Tuk Tuk's

The taxi drivers here seem to have an uncanny ability of knowing whether you are a short time tourist or a resident. I would'nt suggest insisting that using the meter be used, as they normally do use them anyway so you are therefore inviting a difficult situation. As for Tuk Tuks -avoid them altogether, though I am sure there will be replies to that saying they are the way to go. Those people have been lucky. Though I speak Thai, I still would have problems with them because of my European appearance.

London
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi's / Tuk Tuk's

Agree previous comments - use meter taxi's and avoid tuk tuk's. One scam to avoid even in meter taxi's is when you ask for your destination, especially shopping centre, and taxi driver will tell you it is closed but they will take you to alternative. If this happens, take no notice, just say you know its closed but meeting friend there.

Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi's / Tuk Tuk's

Yes, take the metered taxi. Insist on the meter being switched on. 35bht for first 2 km. The driver will always round up the fare though but that is still better than tuk tuk.

I just took the metered taxi from my hotel(in the heart of city) to airport today and only costs 159bht! Must go by the highway and pay toll to avoid traffic.

BTS is really efficient and clean too.