We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Cooking Class

Bahrain
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Private Cooking Class

My husband and I wanted to take a cooking class while we were in Thailand. After comparing private lessons to a traditional cooking class we went with private lessons.

Through some research we came across Thai Cooking School with Angsana. She is a Thai woman who holds classes in her home. Her English is perfect and she is a great teacher. You get to pick the dishes that you want to make (huge plus!) from more than 60 different recipes that go back over 3 generations. I am sure she knows how to make any Thai food you could imagine.

We asked to go with her to get the ingredients and it was a lot of fun to go to the market-- she goes to one that is relatively hygienic (we didn't get sick!) all of the food is on tables (instead of the floor). Then we went back to her house and rolled up our sleeves.

You do the work and she gently guides you along... in the end you have made 3 dishes. You also get the recipes so that you can do it again at home.

Honestly it was some of the best food we ate all week.

I really enjoyed the private setting because it was more personal (you are in her home after all) and you can ask a lot of questions. My husband liked it because there weren't as many people.

Her house is easy to get to from the sky train and the cost, although higher than some cooking schools, is worth it at 2,000 per person.

For more info here is her website... you won't regret it!

www.thaihomecooking.com

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Cooking Class

i have tried to contact her through the email address on her website, but it keeps getting returned back to me. Can anyone give me a correct email address???

Bahrain
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Cooking Class

angsana@thaihomecooking.com is the address that we used. I hope you are able to get in touch with her-- we really had a great time.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Cooking Class

thanks, got in touch with her and will be booking in with her...cant wait!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
232 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Cooking Class

I went to her cooking class when I was in Bangkok in May 2009. I loved it. I have taken other cooking classes before but her's was the best. She is such a lovely person and her family too. I went on my own and learnt so much. I agree that the food I cooked (with her guidance) was the best I had all week. Remington Park.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bahrain
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Cooking Class

I also tried the dishes at home and it went really well... After I practiced once I had a couple of girlfriends over and we had our own Thai cooking class so now they can make some of the dishes too. Highly, highly reccommed it. If/when I go back to Thailand, I will sign up again.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Cooking Class

I am a foodie and have cooked in ChangMai, Koh Samui, Bangkok, probably at total of +10 cooking schools (probably +30 classes) and I keep coming back time and time again to cook with Angsana. Last time I cooked there in June 2009 her mother and grandmother were there both there and directly influenced Angsana cooking abilities. Boy they did a great job!

As I have cooked at so many places around Thailand each time I cook with Angsana it become more difficult to find something I have not cooked before. However each time we sit down and work out something different go out and get the ingredience from the local market and come back and cook the menu I selected with Angsana's input. Interesting I just visited her website before I type this review and notice 4 different dishes since my last visit in July last year.....won't have to scratch our heads next time I am there.

For me personally I enjoy the experience of being able to select what I cook and to have the one on one experience that Angsana's Thai Home Cooking allows me to do.

It was an exceptional experience after we cooked on my last time there to invite Angsana's mother, grandmother and her new born baby daughter Victoria all at the table enjoying and reviewing what we just cooked. What a lovely experience it was, 4 generations.

Ian Fleetwood

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Cooking Class

Hi all...so i am back from our trip...and I have to say that doing the cooking class with Angsana was the highlight of my trip!

The market trip was amazing and really allowed us to see a piece of real thailand. We made three dishes, Sweet Green Chicken Curry, Tom Yam Gung, and a Chicken & Cashew Nut stirfry. They were all absolutely amazing and much easier and simpler than any thai recipe books i have at home ( not to mention ten times better!)

Angsana is a lovely lovely lady and speaks excellent English. I will definately be back to cook with her again.....now just to save enough money for the next trip!!!

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
1 post
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Cooking Class

I agree with everything written here! We also booked with Angsana and had a WONDERFUL time truly learning how to prepare Thai food. Larger cooking schools cannot compare to the experience of a private lesson (just my friend and me) with an expert in her own home. We were there for three hours, cooked three delicious dishes and left with very full bellies, cute aprons and a booklet of recipes. Angsana herself is a welcoming, patient and enthusiastic teacher. We could tell she really enjoys what she does. In addition, her house was very easy to get to via the Skytrain. This is a "must do" in Bangkok!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
9. Re: Private Cooking Class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 06, 2010