We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riverside or Sukhumvit

Bath
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Riverside or Sukhumvit

I am planning to take my family ( 4 adults, 1 child, aged 8 -78!!) on a beach holiday to Thailand preceded by 3 nights in Bangkok in March/April 06. I am completely bewildered by the array of hotels/appts available and also not sure about the area (Riverside or Sukhumvit?). We want culture, atmosphere, tradition, markets, shooping, good food, a pool and prox. to Sky Train on a budget of max. USD 100 per room per night and no sleazy bars next door. Currently swaying between Centre Point Silom (Riverside) and Bel-Aire Princess (Sukhumvit) but also very intrigued by Julie23's House by the Pond. Any advise and suggestions would be very welcome.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riverside or Sukhumvit

Well, the price of bel air princess fits in but not the surrounding. As for Centre point Silom........it just might be a better choice. I'm not sure about house by the pond.

I work in silom and i know that you can shop day and night. The skytrain is not exactly next door but it is not far either.

Maybe you can shop around the internet and see if you get any better deals.

In Bangkok, you can get Holiday Inn Silom for under US$100 per room per night which might include buffet breakfast.

This hotel is very near the sky train and the surrounding is not at all sleazy. It is next to the Jewelry Trade center

Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riverside or Sukhumvit

I am staying at the JW Marriott. Is this in a good area/near to all the sites?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riverside or Sukhumvit

JW Marriott is right in the middle of the major shopping areas. You have central chitlom on way, emporium the other way. The skytrain - which has a stop very close to your hotel can take you to either on.

You are right next door to the Nana area that has a very active night life if you want that thing as well.

You will have to travel to the Grand Palace - it may take some time if you go during peak hours on a weekday.

You can take the skytrain the the river and SIlom areas as well.

All up - good position - I would not be changing if you have already booked.