We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

Bay Area
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

okay - please note i'm not at all interested in the sleazy attractions and such. and i alread know about the shopping. i'm more concerned with the cultural aspects.

so far i've only seen one that appeals:

the emerald buddha

are the floating markets and a boat ride down the river worth it?

note: i only plan to spend 4 days in that wonderous city and want to only exert myself to one site a day. after all, aren't you supposed to relax when taking a holiday. i plan to spend the rest of the day meandering throughout the lovely town.

tia!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

Kiki3,

You are right. Just relaxing and not stressing out over a tight tour schedule is the way to go. I'll have to compress mine as I have 2 days of business on each end of a weekend. But, at least I have the Sat-Sun free.

U.K.
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

The emerald budda is in the Grand Palace and you should allow at least half a day for this, - it is awesome. I would also recommend Wat Pho which is next to the Grand Palace, Jim Thompson's house is worth a look and there are some good boat trips which take you around the canals where the locals live and then transfer you to a rice barge for a buffet lunch and criuse back down the main river.

Meandering through the city can be a very hot and confusing experience. Hope this helps.

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

Greetings, kikki3,

You have already received some very good advice and suggestions. I would recommend at least one massage while you are in Bangkok.

Many Bangkok hotels have lovely spas and some offer in-room massage treatments. There are also many fine massage centres, including Wat Po. After a day of touring, a massage is a wonderful way to "wind down." Bangkok is one of the best cities in the world for high quality massages.

Enjoy,

macintosh (Robert)

BKK
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

Hi Kikki3,

Visiting Thailand, I would recommend the interesting places as following :

- Visit the Royal Grand Palace, then go through Wat Phra Kaew (The Emerald Buddha), The Golden Chedi, a miniature replica of Angkor Wat in Cambodia etc. Afterthat visit Wat Po, the temple of the Reclining Buddha. (All in walking distance)-half day, up to your interest.

- Take a boat trip along Chao Phya River and canals to Wat Arun, the temple of Dawn and the Royal Barges Museum-half day.

- River Cruise to Ayutthaya to visit the picture ruins of the ancient capital city of Ayuthaya and then visit nearby Bang Pa-In Summer Palace- one day.

- Visit Damnernsaduak floating market with a stop during the way at Nakhon Pathom to see the largest Buddhist pagoda in Thailand. Then, on way back visit Rose Garden for lunch and enjoy the beautiful Thai Village show.

- If you have more time visit Chainatown at night starting around 7 pm. for chinese food dinner is a worth.

Let's enjoy your trip.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

I believe you can use your ticket to the Temple of the Emerald Buddha to get into Vimarnmek Mansion, which is the largest teak mansion in the world. It's just a short tuk tuk ride away. I just love this place! There are also guided tours in English, which may enhance the historical aspect for you.

The National Musuem is also worth a visit. It's small and won't take much time and not so far from the Grand Palace.

Since you are aiming for cultural/religious places, maybe it's useful to know that proper attire is expected, ie, no shorts, tube tops, tanks, or perhaps jeans.

If you are an early-riser and would like to see the local lifestyle, I suggest going to Lumphini Park, right in the middle of the city, where people come to exercise. You'll see anything from the usual jogging/biking to Tai Chi, Yoga, Eastern chanting, Chinese karaoke, Ballroom Dancing, all outdoor. There are row and paddle boats for hire and a nice local breakfast area. I wouldn't say it is a Top Four thing, but it might be interesting.

Hope this helps.

Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

I would recommend the following in this order.

1. The Royal Palace (where the emerald buddha is). By far the most impressive place in the country!

2. A day trip to ayuthaya is interesting. You can book a package bus up and boat ride back at most hotels when you get there.

3. Go for refelxology (foot massage). The best one I found is on the road leading to the Shangri-La. It is on the left side as you go toward the hotel and usually has the masseurs outside wearing blue or white polo shirts. Definitely worth a visit.

4. Chatuchuk Weekend Market. It is crowded and can get hot, but it is unlike anything you have ever seen, with more than 2000 vendors. If you are not there on a weekend, you can check out the Suan Lum night Market which is every night from 6-11PM

Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

I would recommend the following in this order.

1. The Royal Palace (where the emerald buddha is). By far the most impressive place in the country!

2. A day trip to ayuthaya is interesting. You can book a package bus up and boat ride back at most hotels when you get there.

3. Go for refelxology (foot massage). The best one I found is on the road leading to the Shangri-La. It is on the left side as you go toward the hotel and usually has the masseurs outside wearing blue or white polo shirts. Definitely worth a visit.

4. Chatuchuk Weekend Market. It is crowded and can get hot, but it is unlike anything you have ever seen, with more than 2000 vendors. If you are not there on a weekend, you can check out the Suan Lum night Market which is every night from 6-11PM

Regina, SK
Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

I would recommend:

1. Grand Palace

2. Chatachuk Market

3. Wat Arun (really beautiful)

I would not recommend the floating markets if you don't have a lot of time. The tours take awhile to get there. Yes, they're interesting, but I don't think they're worth the time it takes.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

Great day out to the River Kwai and visit the Jeath war museum and cemetry, from Kanchaniburi you can travel by train along Hellfire pass and on to elephant camp where you can take an elephant trek and bamboo rafting. You would need to allow from approx 7am - 5pm to do this.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the top four things to see in Bangkok?

rooftop bar at banyan tree...65 floors up and outsside with a tiny railing holding everyone in...its called vertigo for a reason.

go to the luxury cinemas...very cool

get a massage

eat everything....street food, restaurant food eat it all